nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Temps (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87554)

gulizard 03-05-07 04:44 AM

Temps

I just downloaded the Thermal Analysis Tool for Intel, and I noticed my Digital temps were 50c on each core. I then clicked on the Start button for each core. They climbed to 65c and then 70c a-piece. My CPU temp over-all in the nvmonitor was clocking in at around 64c doing this.

My question is, is this normal? Keep in mind I don't think I have the latest bios for the board I got, and the reason being is I am being lazy about putting in my floppy drive. Still kind of spooky to see temps like that.

Xion X2 03-05-07 03:25 PM

Re: Temps

The jump in temps is normal. TAT raises temps on your processor like no other stress-tester out there.

Again.. if you want better temps on your Conroe then you need to purchase yourself a really good heat-sink fan. This is no gimmick; the stock fans on the Intels suck and will keep your temps much higher. If you want the absolute best in HSFs, you'll go get yourself a Tuniq Tower off newegg.com or performance-pcs.com If you just want "good", you'll go get yourself a Scythe Ninja, Arctic Freezer, etc. And also use AS5 when you put them on. Clean off your CPU's heat-spreader with Isopropyl Alcohol first, though, and use the AS5 very sparingly. Just a very thin line down the middle over the cores would be sufficient.

gulizard 03-05-07 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion X2
The jump in temps is normal. TAT raises temps on your processor like no other stress-tester out there.

Again.. if you want better temps on your Conroe then you need to purchase yourself a really good heat-sink fan. This is no gimmick; the stock fans on the Intels suck and will keep your temps much higher. If you want the absolute best in HSFs, you'll go get yourself a Tuniq Tower off newegg.com or performance-pcs.com If you just want "good", you'll go get yourself a Scythe Ninja, Arctic Freezer, etc. And also use AS5 when you put them on. Clean off your CPU's heat-spreader with Isopropyl Alcohol first, though, and use the AS5 very sparingly. Just a very thin line down the middle over the cores would be sufficient.

Yeah its money right now. Its tight but thanks dude that worried me. It scared the crap out of me when my temps rose to 70c. Will my pc burn out or shut off before it allows it to cause damage?

I plan on getting a HSF in the future, I actually just went back to 2.4GHz because of that with little to no change.

One question while I am on the subject. Would be possible to push 3.20GHz out of my CPU without a voltage rise, and if I had to increase the voltage exactly how much should I do it in "Increments" wise.

Xion X2 03-05-07 06:25 PM

Do not run the processor over 60C for long periods of time. Intel says "not good."

For voltage increases, most E6600's seem to hit a wall at 3.2 w/ stock voltage. I bump mine up in quarters of a tenth at a time. Like from 1.3-->1.325, for example, and test it to see if it's stable. If it isn't, then I'll bump it to 1.35. And so on...

In my case, my 6600 will get to 3.2 easy on stock voltage. But I have to bump it to 1.4 to get it to 3.35, and I have to bump it to 1.5v to get it to 3.5, and then 1.6 to get to 3.6. And then 1.7 ( :scarey: ) to get to 3.8ghz.

It all comes down to luck of the draw. Some overclock better than others. That's the joy of this game. Unpredictability. :)

gulizard 03-05-07 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion X2
Do not run the processor over 60C for long periods of time. Intel says "not good."

For voltage increases, most E6600's seem to hit a wall at 3.2 w/ stock voltage. I bump mine up in quarters of a tenth at a time. Like from 1.3-->1.325, for example, and test it to see if it's stable. If it isn't, then I'll bump it to 1.35. And so on...

In my case, my 6600 will get to 3.2 easy on stock voltage. But I have to bump it to 1.4 to get it to 3.35, and I have to bump it to 1.5v to get it to 3.5, and then 1.6 to get to 3.6. And then 1.7 ( :scarey: ) to get to 3.8ghz.

It all comes down to luck of the draw. Some overclock better than others. That's the joy of this game. Unpredictability. :)

I will probably hold off on O/Cing until I can grab a better HSF. It seems to run a bit hot right now, and I am almost scared to do any gaming that uses both cores. BF2, and most of my games don't raise the temp very much at all. You'd think with intel saying that the stock HSF would do it good. Yet someone how that TAT soft can heat my CPU up to 65c even at stock.

stevemedes 03-06-07 01:07 AM

You'll probably notice that raising voltage will cause a bigger increase in temperature than overclocking itself.

gulizard 03-06-07 11:04 PM

Question looking at nTune now and my voltage for PCI-E is 1.4, and my HT(SPP-MCP) is 1.45 why is it so high. Its what the mobo set it to standard, is that dangerous or high?