nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   NVidia drivers crash system. Hard. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88069)

Toad King 03-13-07 04:16 PM

NVidia drivers crash system. Hard.

1 Attachment(s)
Ever since I started using the nVidia drivers, there have been a few select OpenGL apps that always crash my computer after running for one to ten minutes. Not just an X crash; the entire computer locks up, remote login is impossible, and the system log gives no clues as to why its happening. If I use the open source drivers, the crash does not happen.

The strange thing is only a couple select programs seem to crash the computer. A couple of the ones that do are:
  • eDuke32 (when in 32-bit mode)
  • Aquamarine (Beryl Windows decorator, the other two (Emerald and Heliodor) don't)
  • Defcon
  • PPRacer
  • Windows applications run under Wine which use OpenGL
My Kernel is 2.6.20 and my BIOS is the latest from my vendor.

netllama 03-13-07 04:30 PM

Re: NVidia drivers crash system. Hard.

In your bug report, I see a few hundred of this warning:
ACPI: Unable to turn cooling device [c17dddec] 'on'

I'm not sure what c17ddec is, but it seems like something needs to get cooled, and is not. Are you sure that this isn't an overheating problem?

Also, what kind of motherboard are you using, and which BIOS version?

Toad King 03-13-07 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama
In your bug report, I see a few hundred of this warning:
ACPI: Unable to turn cooling device [c17dddec] 'on'

I'm not sure what c17ddec is, but it seems like something needs to get cooled, and is not. Are you sure that this isn't an overheating problem?

That's been there since before I started using the NVidia drivers, so I'm pretty sure it's not the problem. My computer's fan is running fine and the system is not overheating. I can't figure out what's causing that error, though. It's flooding my dmesg logs.

Quote:

Also, what kind of motherboard are you using, and which BIOS version?

I'm not sure off hand, but the HP site says that my PC (Pavilion a600n) has this motherboard:

Mb manufacturer name: ASUS A7V8X-LA
HP/Compaq name: Kelut-GL6E

BIOS version of 3.15

netllama 03-13-07 04:41 PM

While those errors may have been there before you were using the nvidia driver, its possible that the system just didn't overheat sufficiently to crash until the GPU was generating additional heat from its usage.

Can you setup a serial console to capture any kernel messages associated with this crash?

Toad King 03-13-07 04:56 PM

Quote:

While those errors may have been there before you were using the nvidia driver, its possible that the system just didn't overheat sufficiently to crash until the GPU was generating additional heat from its usage.

Can you setup a serial console to capture any kernel messages associated with this crash?

I'll try it, but I don't see how the NVidia drivers would cause this but not the open source drivers. I also dual boot this computer into Windows XP, and it has never had a problem with it.

I can't do it right away, but I'll respond as soon as I do.

EDIT: I didn't try it, but I think you're right about the temperature issues. When running one of the aforementioned programs, I noticed the temperature jumped from its normal 40-45 C to 55 C. I guess now I have to find out what the device the errors complain about it and, if it is a thermal device, why it isn't turning on.

Toad King 03-13-07 09:00 PM

I'm beginning to think more and more that this is a problem with overheating. I think my ACPI thermal zone trip points are way off.
Code:

critical (S5):          100 C
passive:                -248 C: tc1=4 tc2=3 tsp=60 devices=0xc17fc338
active[0]:              -266 C: devices=0xc17fcdec

Those negative values look way off. Can somebody who knows something about this suggest what they should be?