nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   I must be lokoing at something wrong here? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88174)

Scar13 03-15-07 12:29 PM

I must be lokoing at something wrong here?

When I over clocked my CPU last night I changed the FSB from 1100 to 1200, and got 2.7x

Is that right?

I didnt change anythign else and it was ROCK solid all night it didnt even change how hot the CPU got?

SlieTheSecond 03-15-07 12:41 PM

Re: I must be lokoing at something wrong here?

what is 2.7x? 2.7 Ghz. Then yes that is right.

FSB 1200 / 4 = 300FSB (C2D are quad pumped)

300FSB x 9 (9 is your cpu's multiplier) = 2700mhz.

And unless you specifically ran a test for stability (Orthos for at least 8 hours) you can not say that it was rock solid.
Just because it doesn't crash right away under normal use doesn't mean anything in stability terms.

Scar13 03-15-07 12:44 PM

Awesome!

Thanks SLI!

Wonder how far I can push the FSB alone maybe 1300?

SlieTheSecond 03-15-07 01:07 PM

Hmm I don't quite think you understand what is affected by raising your FSB.

When you up your fsb you overclock your fsb, your cpu and your ram. Unless you lower the multiplier or change the ratios.

If you do know, then ignore this. If you don't know, then I suggest reading some articles before proceeding further.

Scar13 03-15-07 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlieTheSecond
Hmm I don't quite think you understand what is affected by raising your FSB.

When you up your fsb you overclock your fsb, your cpu and your ram. Unless you lower the multiplier or change the ratios.

If you do know, then ignore this. If you don't know, then I suggest reading some articles before proceeding further.

Thanks! I know, I just like the idea of the system ruuning better overall.

What has always puzzled me is if change my multiplier to say 8 from 9 and raise the fsb doesnt that still affect the ram the same? IE I thought the multiplier DIDNT have a effect on ram..

So if I have to raise my FSB more IE 1400 isnt the ram affected the same no matter what the multipier is?

SlieTheSecond 03-15-07 03:20 PM

If you are runing a 1:1 ratio for your ram, or do not have your ram locked. Your ram will run at fsb x 2. Since its DDR2.

Ie my fsb is 425. My ram ratio is 1:1 so my ram is running at 850mhz.
If I lower my fsb to 400. My ram would be running at 800mhz.

You might wanna check out http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1804 to start with.

Scar13 03-15-07 04:14 PM

Thanks again Slie!

I have read that one and others and udnerstand it, I am just a little confused on why turn the multiplier back to say 8? and then have a fsb of 425 since your ram is still going to see 425 x2

I was thinking it is just easier to rase mine to 1300 / 4 = 325 X mulitplier of 9 = 2.9 ghz and my ram which is ddr 800 would see a fsb of 650 which is well in tolerant range correct?

buffbiff21 03-16-07 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scar13
I am just a little confused on why turn the multiplier back to say 8? and then have a fsb of 425 since your ram is still going to see 425 x2

conroes perform better with the system having a higher bus speed. run some pi tests and find out for yourself. the difference is not jawdroppingly significant but it is there.

Quote:

I was thinking it is just easier to rase mine to 1300 / 4 = 325 X mulitplier of 9 = 2.9 ghz and my ram which is ddr 800 would see a fsb of 650 which is well in tolerant range correct?
in that case your fsb would be 325, not 650. the memory would clock in at 650, not the bus.

...and 650 fsb? dream on. that is extremely rare. even the intel based chipsets max out around 600.

however what you are suggesting (fsb 325) is perfectly within range.

$n][pErMan 03-22-07 01:32 PM

It was so much easier to OC on AMD :p I can't set anywhere in my bios a 1:1 FSB to DDR2 ratio... so im stuck with whatever fuzzy math it comes up with on its own to calculate my frequencies. Which means I can;t set my memory timings either :( I can keep upping the CPU speed with the FSB... and at least I can pin my voltage. But I can't do anything to mess with the ratios.

SlieTheSecond 03-22-07 02:18 PM

buffbiff21 I think he just worded his post wrong.
He said FSB of 325 to start with. And meant his ram would be running at 650. Not his fsb running at 650.

Scar13 you would be running your ram under clocked. So ya it will work. In that case you might be able to tighten your rams timings.