nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What do you think is better?... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88645)

$n][pErMan 03-23-07 11:05 PM

What do you think is better?...

Alright... it seems I have hit my CPU's limit of 334 on the FSB without having to go above 1.4v on the core. Im pretty comfortable with that OC and really have no need to stress it anymore than that. With this in mind I am asking about my memory speed and timings. Currently my PC6400 (800Mhz) ram is running at 1001.6Mhz with timings of 5-5-5-15 @ 2T. As you can see the ratio my motherboard picked for me was FSB 2:3. What I am wondering is would I gain or lose performance by taking the ratio down to either 1:1 or 4:5 (533 / 667 respectivly) and using tigher timings. Worth noting is that this ram can take up to 2.4v and still be under warranty (and I have yet to move it from its defualt voltage of 2.2v) so I think the high speed its running at now is probably safe. I just wanted some other opinions. Current CPU-Z is posted below :)

stevemedes 03-23-07 11:09 PM

Re: What do you think is better?...

Higher frequency with higher timings will be about the same as lower frequency with tighter timings.

For example.

800mhz 3-3-3 will be about the same as
1100mhz 5-5-5

$n][pErMan 03-23-07 11:11 PM

As long as I don't mess with the voltage on the ram... will the temperatures be about the same on both settings? In other words.... as long as its passing Prime95 without errors should it remain stable or will the stability of my ram go down over time at the high speeds?

mullet 03-24-07 09:01 AM

stevemedes is right. I would rather run 4-4-4-12 and try and get as far as I can with it then go to 5-5-5-15 any day. I think you also need orthos this will run both cores at once then to run 2 instances of prime95, if you can run orthos for at least 8 hours with no errors your in pretty good shape.

$n][pErMan 03-24-07 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullet
stevemedes is right. I would rather run 4-4-4-12 and try and get as far as I can with it then go to 5-5-5-15 any day. I think you also need orthos this will run both cores at once then to run 2 instances of prime95, if you can run orthos for at least 8 hours with no errors your in pretty good shape.

Ya.. I noticed my overclock was stable in Prime95 but would BSOD after like an hour in a game (so im going to test using Orthos). I took the speed of the ram down using a different ratio (4:5) this time so my memory is clocked slightly above 800 but is now using tighter timings and I am still clocked at 3.0Ghz on the CPU :) It stopped the BSOD's in the games so hopefully now it will pass Orthos... if so... perhaps I did not hit my CPU's limit and the memory was just clocked to high before and now I can push on to 3.2Ghz or better on 1.4v :D