nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New system is built. OC'ing questions (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88653)

FastRedPonyCar 03-24-07 08:30 AM

New system is built. OC'ing questions

Ok gang, my new rig is up and running and survived last night's torture test.

It consists of an E6600, MSI P6N Platinum, 2 gigs of Patriot DDR2 1066 and a zalman 9500 led HSF.

I've been so out of the overclocking loop, I really haven't got much clue as to what I'm doing. I realize that FSB X Multiplier = the final CPU's clock speed but my bios, the system info window and CPUz are confusing me.

First off, in the bios, the multiplyer is set at 9 which I assume is it's default. The FSB though starts off at like 1300mhz.

I'm confused as to where 1300 is coming from to start with. The CPU runs at 1066 mhz??

Anyways, I set the fsb to 1500 to see what happend and upon reboot, the post screen said the resulting clock speed was 3.38 GHz. I open up CPUz and in the core speed, for a split second, it shows 3.38 and then jumps down to 2.25 and then shows the multiplier at 6X, bus speed at 375mhz and rated fsb is still at 1500 MHz.

The system is totally stable as it was still runing prime 95 since yesterday afternoon. Can anyone shed some light on what I'm seeing here?

Inf1n1tyComplex 03-24-07 09:28 AM

Re: New system is built. OC'ing questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
I realize that FSB X Multiplier = the final CPU's clock speed

:nono: FSB/4 x Multiplier = the final cpu's clock speed...

1066.7/4 x 9 = 2400.007

Why do I have 1066.7 for some reason on stock my dads E6600 shows that fsb...

Anyhow by raising your FSB to 1500 following the formula seeing as the fsb is quad pumped for C2D your speed would be 1500/4 x 9 = 3375. As for your 1300 fsb I don't know how come it was that when you started off... Maybe you or someone accidently set it higher... As 1066 is stock fsb speed and a nice stable overclock is FSB 1334 which gets you to 3 Ghz without raising the voltage ^_^... Oh yeah and make sure to configure your ram with the correct timings as my dads is rated at 4-4-4-15 but was showing 5-5-5-15 and 789 mhz even though it was set to 800 on my 680i striker extreme, so cause I overclocked I had to set the ram to unlinked and raise it to 801 to get 800 mhz. My dads computer is a pain in the arse :(.... Lucky I have my own Q6700 (nana2)...

Only problem im having is wiether to use t1 or t2 timings on my computer or my dads, brother, sister... If anyone knows which is better I can get around to configuring it... Rofl took me this long to realise I had to set my own ram timings which helped alot to raise my ram score in that weird vista test....

FastRedPonyCar 03-24-07 10:13 AM

Ahhh that explains it. I'm still curious why CPUz is showing something different though... when I first open up CPUz, it shows the 9X multiplyer and the corect clock speed and then it changes to 6X multiplyer and changes the displayed clock speed to 2.2ghz??

Anyways, here's what I'm seeing right now. I'm going to flash the bios and see what happens.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...uter/cpuz1.jpg

Inf1n1tyComplex 03-24-07 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
I'm going to flash the bios and see what happens.

Hopefully your going to flash it with the bios revision 1.1... Too bad it doesn't say what it fixes... If this doesn't fix it then their must be something wrong with your motherboard or cpu... :(

SlieTheSecond 03-24-07 12:50 PM

Disable all the extra cpu options like c1e, eist, etc. More than likely you are using a power save function that reduces the clock speed of the cpu when it is not in use. Then raises the clock speed back up when it is in use.

FastRedPonyCar 03-24-07 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlieTheSecond
Disable all the extra cpu options like c1e, eist, etc. More than likely you are using a power save function that reduces the clock speed of the cpu when it is not in use. Then raises the clock speed back up when it is in use.

Bios is now at 1.1, all the stuff you mentioned is disabled by default.

The discrepency between the two still exist.... eh.. oh well. Mabey the guys at the MSI forums will know. And supposedly bios 1.2 is just around the corner as anantech's review of the P6N was done with the beta 1.2 drivers.