nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Warning for HD renters @ Blockbuster (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88784)

six_storm 03-27-07 09:26 AM

Warning for HD renters @ Blockbuster

For those who know, I work at Blockbuster as a shift manager or manager on duty. We are just now getting our HD-DVD/Blu-Ray shipments in and are about to put them on shelves. Actually, if your local BB doesn't carry them yet, they should within the next handful of weeks.

IF you do rent either format from Blockbuster, think again. A memo got passed around to different stores and turns out, when you turn in a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disc, managers have to carefully inspect the discs for ANY type of change in the condition of the disc. If there is a change in the condition, you get charged $40-$50 on the spot!

Do I agree with this new policy? Oh yes. Most people bring back movies with Coke rings (no, not drugs lol), baby-puke on the disc and even GASOLINE all over the casing and disc!!! My boss is just too whimpy to charge the customer for the movie.

So, just a heads up for all of you BB renters. If I could suggest anything, go take your money to Hollywood Video or just SOMEWHERE ELSE. Don't support Blockbuster!!!!

superklye 03-27-07 09:42 AM

Re: Warning for HD renters @ Blockbuster

I'm going to laugh so hard when someone from Blockbuster corporate sees this and fires you for driving business away.

:rofl

ENU291 03-27-07 09:56 AM

Jetson... you're FIRED! :D

six_storm 03-27-07 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superklye
I'm going to laugh so hard when someone from Blockbuster corporate sees this and fires you for driving business away.

:rofl

I'm real surprised I haven't been fired yet. Each time that someone brings a movie up to buy (all new movies are $22.99), I tell them to go down the street to Walmart and get it for $15. Also, when we have to sell the "Rewards" promotion, I always wind up selling more "Movie Passes" than I do Rewards. Blockbuster is so pathetic when it comes to customer service, prices and promotional items. I hope that place just plummets.

spaceigg 03-27-07 10:01 AM

I am closing my blockbuster account well the online and not renting at blockbuster anymore, because of the no late fees scams. we've had to buy a few movies... so I i've had enough... I am returning to netflix...

six_storm 03-27-07 10:20 AM

I hate having to deal with customers that have late fees cuz all they do is complain. But what boggles my mind is how people rent a movie or movies, but don't plan on actually watching the movie that night. Why even bother renting the movie? Seriously, most customers come in, get a movie and don't watch it until the night it's due. WTF? Also, about the morons who drop off Hollywood Video movies or another BB location movies. Are people really this stupid? Finally, late fees. People are so dang lazy to drop a movie off, it's unbelievable. The next time they come in the store though, they complain that they have late fees. Pathetic.

superklye 03-27-07 10:25 AM

I would much rather just spend $15-20 on the movie and have it and never have to worry about this BS.

And that's what I do. :D

Mr. Hunt 03-27-07 10:33 AM

Quote:

I would much rather just spend $15-20 on the movie and have it and never have to worry about this BS.

Same here... I buy movies I only kind of enjoy sometimes also just in case I ever get the feeling to watch it... nice to have the option to watch it anytime I want rather than having to watch it on TV or go and rent it.

mullet 03-27-07 11:18 AM

Every Tuesday I head to walmart to get my movies. I have 300 now.

OWA 03-27-07 11:43 AM

Quote:

Yeah, same here especially when they use to charge late fees. I frequently paid such high late fees that I could have easily bought the movie so that's what I started doing. Edit: Actually, I buy it if I think I'll like it or want to watch it more than once. I do still rent a lot of low-budget movies that I'm interested in seeing but wouldn't want to own.

six_storm, where does the $40-$50 charge come from? That is, why doesn't the person just get charged retail. Are rentals more "heavy duty" or something thus costing more?

superklye 03-27-07 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OWA
Yeah, same here especially when they use to charge late fees. I frequently paid such high late fees that I could have easily bought the movie so that's what I started doing. Edit: Actually, I buy it if I think I'll like it or want to watch it more than once. I do still rent a lot of low-budget movies that I'm interested in seeing but wouldn't want to own.

six_storm, where does the $40-$50 charge come from? That is, why doesn't the person just get charged retail. Are rentals more "heavy duty" or something thus costing more?

They did the same crap with VHS back in the day...if something was really messed up, they charged like $100 because of all the "stuff' they have to do to make them rentable.

It's just a scam.

six_storm 03-27-07 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OWA

We get our movies from a warehouse distributer and for some reason, we don't get them cheap. Every single BR or HD disc that we get cost $40 a pop, regardless of title. That's one reason we don't carry/order VHS anymore = $100 a tape! VHS tapes are pretty much "custom work" nowadays so they will charge more for whoever not keeping up with the times. Does that make sense?

I can't wait to call and tell someone that they are going to be charged $40 on their account because they let a piece of lint get on the disc. That'll be the highlight of my day. /sarcasm

The point is that Blockbuster is a terrible place to rent so don't go there and don't get BBOnline.