nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   See what happens when you don't fix your website? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88934)

adamk75 03-29-07 10:33 AM

See what happens when you don't fix your website?

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source....20/+bug/96430

From Ben Collins:

"B) This is proprietary software. We have no control over what the vendor does. We do our best, but these are the breaks. If you don't like this sort of thing happening, complain to nVidia, not us. We didn't decide to drop support for the chipsets in question. We just provided the latest two drivers that nVidia had available on their web site (7184 and 9755). If they had posted links to three drivers, we'd have provided that from the beginning."

So for everyone complaining about problems with Feisty and 1.0-9631, you can blame nVidia for never fixing their Unix Drivers Portal Page:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

netllama 03-29-07 11:20 AM

Re: See what happens when you don't fix your website?

All current and past driver releases have always been available via the "Archive" links on this page:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

Its unfortunate that Ben Collins did not contact NVIDIA if he was unable to locate a specific driver version.

adamk75 03-29-07 11:47 AM

How was he even supposed to know that a specific driver version even existed? Between the 1.0-9755 and the 1.0-7184 drivers, all chipsets are supported, correct? At least according the READMEs on-line. So how is he supposed to know that there's a separate, newer (compared to the 7184 drivers) package specifically for the GF2/3/4 cards since it's not listed on the portal page? Do you honestly suggest that everyone take a look at the Archive link to see if there's a more recent driver for their card than the one on the portal page? For crying out loud, it's the "Archive" page :-) Why would it occur to anyone that it would contain newer drivers than the one on the portal page?

Instead of trying to pass the buck, how about admitting that the website is screwed up, misleading, and caused this entire problem in the first place? And then how about fixing it?

Adam

Robster 03-29-07 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamk75
Instead of trying to pass the buck, how about admitting that the website is screwed up, misleading, and caused this entire problem in the first place? And then how about fixing it?Adam

Wow... the moderators won't say this, so I will: your attitude sucks, and you won't get much help when you talk to people like that!

That Ubuntu thread makes the Ubuntu users look like a bunch of whining children. There's been a little confusion about driver versions (in the beta series of Ubuntu releases) and people are crying and throwing tantrums because they think they can't have their 3D eye candy.

Ben Collins says that Edgy is supported (and works) right now, and Feisty is not yet. He also says that the driver issue is understood, and Feisty will support the three driver versions.

It seems to me that there was an issue, but it's been recognised and will be sorted out. Why are you now flaming nVidia?

adamk75 03-29-07 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robster
Wow... the moderators won't say this, so I will: your attitude sucks, and you won't get much help when you talk to people like that!

That Ubuntu thread makes the Ubuntu users look like a bunch of whining children. There's been a little confusion about driver versions (in the beta series of Ubuntu releases) and people are crying and throwing tantrums because they think they can't have their 3D eye candy.

Ben Collins says that Edgy is supported (and works) right now, and Feisty is not yet. He also says that the driver issue is understood, and Feisty will support the three driver versions.

It seems to me that there was an issue, but it's been recognised and will be sorted out. Why are you now flaming nVidia?

Their lack of initiative in fixing their website (which caused the problem, however minor, in the first place) seems to indicate that they don't really care. The misleading website is the real issue, not this little problem with Ubuntu. And there has been no indication that this issue is being sorted out.

To be fair, I'm not looking for help. I am simply looking for them to own up to their mistakes, fix a problem with their website that has been brought to their attention numerous times, confused numerous users, and at at least one major linux distribution.

As for my attitude... Perhaps it stems from spending a significant amount of time trying to help GF2/GF3/GF4 users get beryl and/or compiz working on their machines, explaining that they don't need to use XGL, that the nVidia website is wrong, and that they're not stuck using the 7184 drivers.

Adam

Robster 03-29-07 10:54 PM

Well, I can see the point of what you are saying. So would it be OK if someone took the compatibility list and made it a bit prettier and a bit more prominent on the Unix drivers page? NVidia-people, is that doable?

It won't immediately fix Ubuntu Feisty so "it just works", but maybe it will help prevent confusion in future :)

MUYA 03-29-07 10:58 PM

His attitude is in question. This forum section is not for bitching and whinning but a help section. Contribute positivetly please or you will be shown the door. You can whine and bitch elsewhere on the web

netllama 03-29-07 11:06 PM

Robster,
There are plans to rework the driver page to make it more clear which drivers are appropriate for which cards.

thanks,
Lonni

adamk75 03-30-07 04:38 AM

Actually, my first post was quite civil, I believe. I was simply pointing out the confusion that their website created. It was only after netllama tried to put the blame on Ben Collins for not contacting nVidia about a driver release that many people don't know even exists for their cards that my attitude turned sour.

In any case, is there an ETA on the rework of the driver page?

Adam

zbiggy 03-31-07 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama
There are plans to rework the driver page to make it more clear which drivers are appropriate for which cards.

Thank you Netllama. I hope Nvidia will fix Unix driver pages very fast. The problem with right driver is very annoying. Most people just install recent driver on geforce 3-4 which does not work with such hardware and flood Linux forums, mailing list and news groups with their problem. This is very hard to answer again and again to the same questions.

I think 3 versions should be placed on Unix driver page:
Linux IA32
Geforce FX and later latest version: 1.0-9755
Geforce 2 MX up to Geforce 4 use latest version: 1.0-9631
Riva TNT up to (and including) Geforce 2Ti Latest Legacy GPU version: 1.0-7184

The "supported product list" link at:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-9755.html
www page is wrong because it lies all Geforces since Geforce 2 MX are supported by this driver. Just remove this link or connect it with on-line readme of Nvidia driver /README/appendix-a.html.