nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Any Distro Reccomendations? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89006)

johnkeel105 03-30-07 02:40 PM

Any Distro Reccomendations?

I have always used Windows heavily and never really worked on Linux operating system. I have in my possession an old Intel Celeron 500mhz with 64 megs of ram on an Intel 810 Chipset with a very awesome 6 gig hard drive lol. I was wondering if anyone here could reccomend a nice distro that would run quite fast on such an old computer. I am just wanting to figure out linux and get some experience with it before I finish high school. Any input would be appriciated.

grey_1 03-30-07 09:11 PM

Re: Any Distro Reccomendations?

I would have to recommend a little different tactic. Take your 6 gb hdd and install it into your main rig. Disconnect your win drives completely, then install Ubuntu 6.10 on your 6 gigger. Afterwards just swap back and forth in your bios, choose which to boot from.

Reasoning is simple, while your celeron will run linux, the 64mb of ram probably wont allow KDE or Gnome desktops to load. xfce would work, but it can be frustrating if your totally unfamiliar with it.

Your main rig will run it fast, Ubuntu forums have great support, and its simple to install and probably the most stable I've worked with for quite some time.

Here's the page you want.

If you insist on using your older rig then I would try Damn Small Linux, here. I've never used it, but I understand they packed a lot into a tiny little distro.

Either way good luck with it and enjoy.

retsam 04-01-07 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1
I would have to recommend a little different tactic. Take your 6 gb hdd and install it into your main rig. Disconnect your win drives completely, then install Ubuntu 6.10 on your 6 gigger. Afterwards just swap back and forth in your bios, choose which to boot from.

Reasoning is simple, while your celeron will run linux, the 64mb of ram probably wont allow KDE or Gnome desktops to load. xfce would work, but it can be frustrating if your totally unfamiliar with it.

Your main rig will run it fast, Ubuntu forums have great support, and its simple to install and probably the most stable I've worked with for quite some time.

Here's the page you want.

If you insist on using your older rig then I would try Damn Small Linux, here. I've never used it, but I understand they packed a lot into a tiny little distro.

Either way good luck with it and enjoy.

you can do what grey stated or you can do a knoppix distro and just boot from a cd.... i do this all the time with knoppix-std...

johnkeel105 04-01-07 12:53 PM

Thanks for your input. I checked out DSL and while it is fast and runs good, it has to be a very ugly OS. I think ill try Knoppix. I am wanting to keep my Linux box separate from my pc, so I wont have to do bios switching.

wnd 04-02-07 06:24 AM

vBulletin/nV News needs some sort of "canned reply" la Sourceforge. ;-)

Since you're new to Linux, your best shot is to think about people you know or can contact, and pick distribution they use. If you're not lucky enough to have one, I'd suggest you to try Ubuntu. Personally I use Debian, but many people prefer Ubuntu over Debian. Also, while smaller distributions (in name and size) may sound tempting, they're usually more suitable for people familiar with GNU/Linux since help isn't as easily available.

johnkeel105 04-04-07 10:21 PM

Ill have to see how this works out I could always take that old hard drive and throw Ubuntu on it. But I am busy enough keeping my two operating systems in check on this computer. Thats not counting my Laptop, Parents computer, and all my friends that I probably should charge money for all the crap I do for them. Well now you have me on a rant lol. Thanks for your input. I will take it into consideration.

grey_1 04-05-07 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnkeel105
Ill have to see how this works out I could always take that old hard drive and throw Ubuntu on it. But I am busy enough keeping my two operating systems in check on this computer. Thats not counting my Laptop, Parents computer, and all my friends that I probably should charge money for all the crap I do for them. Well now you have me on a rant lol. Thanks for your input. I will take it into consideration.

Load up Ububtu and tell them you don't use windows anymore lol. :p

johnkeel105 04-05-07 08:10 PM

Well my Linux box project just got an upgrade. It is now a Intel Celeron 500mhz with 512 megs of ram on an Intel 810 Chipset with a very awesome 6 gig hard drive. How will Ubuntu run on this?

EDIT:

I think I answred my own question it seems to be running nicely. It reminds me alot of Windows but in some ways it seems much similer. Ill have to work with it some mroe to know for sure! Thanks for everyone's input :)

Ov3nCleaner 04-21-07 11:15 AM

uhh i recomend something lightweight.... maybe slackware or gentoo or debian and the fluxbox window manager if you must have a gui. all very lightweight... xfce is the heaviest i would go on your machine.

EDIT:

wow gnome actually runs on your computer? thats insane!

wnd 04-22-07 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ov3nCleaner
the fluxbox window manager

FVWM2 FTW! :-)

akira36 04-22-07 12:25 PM

For someone just looking to learn/play with different Linux distro's I'd recommend a different route than setting up one physical box for this. If you have a decent system running (as I have to assume you do), go to www.vmware.com, navigate to the Free Virtualization Software section and download VMWare Server (free of course). You'll have to register with them to get the FREE code(s), but it really is free. I use that to test different operating systems on my physical boxes as well as run dedicated task servers. Such as one VM for my FTP server, one for my digital gallery (for my photography), one for my SAV server. I'm in the process of setting up one blog server as well as working on configuring an email server. All are virtual (all running Linux distro's except the SAV server with is running Windows Server 2003 Standard edition). A high benefit of this method is you can backup the entire VM to another system, or media (tape, etc.) and not have to worry about a hardware failure cauing you XX hours of work to rebuild your Linux boxes. I actually just upgraded one box to CentOS 5 (64 bit version) and had to work on getting a video card that could feed my 24" LCD. Now that it's running, I simply copied back my VM sets (each VM gets it's own directory within the VM directory on your hard drive). All I had to do then was browse to them from within VMWare and tell it to open them up. Now I'm running my SAV server, web server, anfd FTP server just like I was before.

If you want to have an even better experience, install Linux as your boxes main OS (I'd use either Fedora Core 6, or 7 when it's been out for a while, or CentOS 5) and then install VMWare on it and then make your guest systems. With Linux having less overhead when compared to windows, it will make for a leaner system. Besides, both Fedora Core and CentOS are free distributions.