nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   CPUs, Motherboards And Memory (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   G.Skill died on me. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89165)

WarGhSt 04-02-07 05:15 PM

G.Skill died on me.

Bah, ordered up a stick of G.Skill F2-6400CL4S-1GBHK. Everything worked great until I manually set the timings in the bios - 4-4-3-5. Seemed to be just fine until I woke up the next day. BSOD and then nothing. /sigh.

Just bad luck or is this something I should have been keeping an eye out for with G.Skill?

(Planning to RMA my stick but I'm a bit scared to use the new one if it's going to act the same way.)

jAkUp 04-02-07 05:19 PM

Re: G.Skill died on me.

Hmm don't think so, G.Skill's are usually pretty solid.

LORD-eX-Bu 04-02-07 05:20 PM

tried it with just one stick of memory? have you tried different slots? you have cleared the bios right? don't think that just changing the timings would kill memory, maybe I'm wrong.

WarGhSt 04-02-07 10:58 PM

Only had the one stick so for that question, no.
Cleared the bios several times to reset the times back to default but I still didn't have any luck loading it up.
Tried each slot, 2-3 times a piece.
Honestly have no idea what went wrong and where but I'll be RMA'ing it some time this week because I loved it while it was working. : )
Oh well, I've got a gig of some Corsair in here for now, which will hold me over.

gstanford 04-06-07 12:27 AM

Warning issued - EVGA 680i motherboard
Quote:

Warning issued - EVGA 680i motherboard

Posted by Hilbert Hagedoorn on April 5, 2007 - 10:37 PM

Important message regarding memory and the EVGA 680i motherboard

NVIDIA has investigated end user reports of high performance DIMM failures on the NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI-based platforms. During this process we have been in close contact with DIMM manufacturers and the DRAM manufacturers they rely on to understand the failure scenario. By working with our community, we believe that the observed failure is a breakdown of the silicon in the DRAM caused by the prolonged application of 2.4V on the voltage rails of the DIMMs.

NVIDIA’s own internal testing has observed this failure on multiple motherboards using different chipsets (both NVIDIA and non-NVIDIA chipsets). This issue is not directly related to motherboards using the NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI MCP or other chipsets.

If you are using this type of memory and are experiencing this issue, NVIDIA recommends contacting your memory manufacturer or system manufacturer for additional information and warranty information.
I'm planning on using this memory.
Quote:

**OCZ EVP (Extended Voltage Protection) is a feature that allows performance enthusiasts to use a VDIMM of 2.4V ± 5% without invalidating their OCZ Lifetime Warranty.

Blacklash 04-06-07 01:56 AM

Glad I stuck with my BX2. Didn't they come out the gate with hard disk data corruption problems?