nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Good deal for 6800 GT? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89218)

coldpower27 04-03-07 07:34 PM

Good deal for 6800 GT?
 
Ok, I have a problem and am looking for the opinions of the members of this board, so bear with me.

I am looking for a minor upgrade for my video card, Geforce 4 Ti4200 is getting long in the tooth, and was looking at a 6800 GT PCI-E for 100 CND used.

Would that be a reasonable deal, would be playing at 10x7 and 12x10 resolutions.

I did some calculations and i came up with these figures.

If 7950 GT is 100% in performance, then the 7600 GT comes in at 55% with the 6800 GT coming in at 44%.

Here are my options:

6800 GT PCI-E used 100 CND
7600 GT PCI-E new 170 CND
7950 GT 256 PCI-E new 275 CND

I don't believe there are any major differences in their features sets, maybe borked PureVideo I guess on the 6800? Power consumption would be 7600 GT > 6800 GT > 7950 GT in that order. Geforce 7 obviously will rule for performance/watt. I hope I am not missing much.

I am just want to play Sims 2, X2: The Threat Homeworld 2, FarCry, Doom 3, and a few newer games down the road, but not in any hurry or anything.

Bman212121 04-03-07 11:15 PM

Re: Good deal for 6800 GT?
 
I would say go for the 7600GT personally. The 6800 GT is nice, but it would almost be a step backward anymore. The 7950GT would be a good card, but it is quite a bit more. The games that you currently want to play should run great on any of them, but some of the newest games are already listing a 6600GT as the min spec, so you might run into problems in the near future with some of the latest games.

If your not in a hurry, the lower end 8000 series cards should be out within a few months, so that might offer the best price/performance, and include DX10, HDCP, and I think shader model 4, but I'm not 100% on that.

Tr1cK 04-04-07 08:31 AM

Re: Good deal for 6800 GT?
 
I don't think the 8-00 series work on the 775Dual VSTA.

If I were you, I'd go for a card between 7600 to 7900 levels and a new CPU. My e4300 was pretty cheap.

Redeemed 04-04-07 09:35 AM

Re: Good deal for 6800 GT?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tr1cK
I don't think the 8-00 series work on the 775Dual VSTA.

If I were you, I'd go for a card between 7600 to 7900 levels and a new CPU. My e4300 was pretty cheap.

Maybe the 8800 series wont work on the 775Dual VSTA- but I see no reason why an 8600 down to the 8300 would not work. I'd look into the 8300- that perform atleast as well as a 7600GT while fully supporting DX10. Heck, early benchmarks of the 8600GT show that card to be faster than a 7800GTS 512. So I see no reason why an 8300 would not be as fast or faster than a 7600GT.

I'd wait for the 8300 if I were you. Or, if you could get it- the 8600. But due to your mobo only running that PCI-e x16 slot at only x4 (I believe that is the rate it runs at)- you very well may be limited to the 8300 for the GF-8 series. Which would still be a fast card for most any game today, and decent for any newer games to come.

Just my two cents. ;)

Quick420 04-04-07 02:01 PM

Re: Good deal for 6800 GT?
 
Doh!

Tr1cK 04-04-07 03:09 PM

Re: Good deal for 6800 GT?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed
Maybe the 8800 series wont work on the 775Dual VSTA- but I see no reason why an 8600 down to the 8300 would not work. I'd look into the 8300- that perform atleast as well as a 7600GT while fully supporting DX10. Heck, early benchmarks of the 8600GT show that card to be faster than a 7800GTS 512. So I see no reason why an 8300 would not be as fast or faster than a 7600GT.

I'd wait for the 8300 if I were you. Or, if you could get it- the 8600. But due to your mobo only running that PCI-e x16 slot at only x4 (I believe that is the rate it runs at)- you very well may be limited to the 8300 for the GF-8 series. Which would still be a fast card for most any game today, and decent for any newer games to come.

Just my two cents. ;)

Well I don't know for a fact they won't work, as they haven't even been released yet. I would just exercise precaution and go for what you know that works and get a 7 series. The low end 8 series (8600 and down) are probably not even as fast as a 7900.

coldpower27 04-04-07 11:50 PM

Re: Good deal for 6800 GT?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed
Maybe the 8800 series wont work on the 775Dual VSTA- but I see no reason why an 8600 down to the 8300 would not work. I'd look into the 8300- that perform atleast as well as a 7600GT while fully supporting DX10. Heck, early benchmarks of the 8600GT show that card to be faster than a 7800GTS 512. So I see no reason why an 8300 would not be as fast or faster than a 7600GT.

I'd wait for the 8300 if I were you. Or, if you could get it- the 8600. But due to your mobo only running that PCI-e x16 slot at only x4 (I believe that is the rate it runs at)- you very well may be limited to the 8300 for the GF-8 series. Which would still be a fast card for most any game today, and decent for any newer games to come.

Just my two cents. ;)

Yeah, the 8800 Series, don't completely conform to the PCI-E specification and require full x16 electrical slots in order to work. SO for the Dual-VSTA that option is out.

I don't know for sure if the highest 8300 will beat out the 7600 GT or not, look at the 7300 GT, the most powerful card of the 7300 line and not even based on the same core as the rest of the line, is only about the level of the 6600 DDR2 and doesn't even come close to the 6600 GT stock wise.

From the looks of things the 8600 Series will come in from 7900 GS to 7950 GT performance levels, which is not bad and has a good chance to work as they are target 45W and 71W TDP envelopes, but I don't know if I would care about DX10 on the first generation of a card.

The typical trend is that older generation high end cards are much better deals for the budget arena because of the rather anemic performance increase in that segment over the years. So getting a older high end card is usually a better choice, then buying a new generation budget card. There isn't enough data at this time to indicate if the 8300 line will break that trend.

coldpower27 04-04-07 11:52 PM

Re: Good deal for 6800 GT?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tr1cK
Well I don't know for a fact they won't work, as they haven't even been released yet. I would just exercise precaution and go for what you know that works and get a 7 series. The low end 8 series (8600 and down) are probably not even as fast as a 7900.

Yeah, I don't think the 8800 Issue would crossover to the 8600 Series, at least I hope not since those cards have lower power requirements. But as it is, the 8600 GTS is looking to be on par with the 7950 GT, not too shabby considering it's DX10 support, but it will still come in at over 250 CND minimum.

XDanger 04-07-07 09:10 PM

Re: Good deal for 6800 GT?
 
go for the 6800(which will be slower than the agp version but you want an upgrade path) because of your dual bottlenecks (x4 slot/celeron) but please put a core2 in that board asap, or just dump it and get a 965 or something.

john19055 05-01-07 03:42 PM

Re: Good deal for 6800 GT?
 
If you don't mind getting a ATI card then the X1950GT is a good card and newegg has it for $104.99 after $30 rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102034
and it is faster then at 6800Gt or a 7600GT and in a lot of cases it is faster then at 7900Gt.

coldpower27 05-06-07 03:02 PM

Re: Good deal for 6800 GT?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by john19055
If you don't mind getting a ATI card then the X1950GT is a good card and newegg has it for $104.99 after $30 rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102034
and it is faster then at 6800Gt or a 7600GT and in a lot of cases it is faster then at 7900Gt.

A bit of a thread necromancy there man, and anyway I already upgraded, and I have to wait till Bearlake motherboards before considering another video card upgrade, and 2 I have expressed my values in Canadian currency, Newegg doesn't really help me. ;)

DMx 05-06-07 03:26 PM

Re: Good deal for 6800 GT?
 
7950GT, it rocks, especially when in SLi mode :D.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.