nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Blu-Ray wth??? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89227)

mullet 04-03-07 11:58 PM

Blu-Ray wth???
 
I come here from time to time and try and keep up with all the blu-ray vs hd-dvd stuff and I see 7 pages of blu-ray disk and 3 pages of hd-dvd, what is going on, I thought all of you were hardcore hd-dvd people. Since blu-ray has moved to VC-1 ( I think thats right? ) everyone is now moving over?

evilchris 04-04-07 12:26 AM

Re: Blu-Ray wth???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mullet
I come here from time to time and try and keep up with all the blu-ray vs hd-dvd stuff and I see 7 pages of blu-ray disk and 3 pages of hd-dvd, what is going on, I thought all of you were hardcore hd-dvd people. Since blu-ray has moved to VC-1 ( I think thats right? ) everyone is now moving over?

I don't post in either thread as I use Netflix. There are also quite a few PS3 fanboys here, hence BD fanboys.

1337_Like_ThaT 04-04-07 12:27 AM

Re: Blu-Ray wth???
 
Go to your local BestBuy and compare what titles are available for BluRay and titles for HD DVD and you will know why BluRay has the advantage :)

As for myself I'm neutral, do not hate either format but have a much larger blu ray collection due to having better movies on that format period. I believe this can be said by BD and NON-BD fanbois unlike what other people think

Zelda_fan 04-04-07 12:33 AM

Re: Blu-Ray wth???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mullet
I come here from time to time and try and keep up with all the blu-ray vs hd-dvd stuff and I see 7 pages of blu-ray disk and 3 pages of hd-dvd, what is going on, I thought all of you were hardcore hd-dvd people. Since blu-ray has moved to VC-1 ( I think thats right? ) everyone is now moving over?

most of the blu-ray fans feel the need to spam the forum

Neophyte 04-04-07 12:40 AM

Re: Blu-Ray wth???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
most of the blu-ray fans feel the need to spam the forum

With good reason.

mullet 04-04-07 12:42 AM

Re: Blu-Ray wth???
 
haha ok^^^, well I read the article on HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray and then I realized the both are now using VC-1 ( Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD ). I guess its up to the movie studios as 1337_Like_ThaT stated.

evilchris 04-04-07 12:47 AM

Re: Blu-Ray wth???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1337_Like_ThaT
Go to your local BestBuy and compare what titles are available for BluRay and titles for HD DVD and you will know why BluRay has the advantage :)

As for myself I'm neutral, do not hate either format but have a much larger blu ray collection due to having better movies on that format period. I believe this can be said by BD and NON-BD fanbois unlike what other people think

My BB has an about equal selection. I also feel HD DVD has better titles. I don't like rubbish like AvP. I also feel people think BD has some huge number of titles available compared to HD DVD but this is also not the case. It's about 243 v 230 at the moment, an insignificant difference/

superklye 04-04-07 06:48 AM

Re: Blu-Ray wth???
 
I've been to three of the four Best Buys in Milwaukee and all of them have equal shelf space devoted to both format but HD DVD is almost always emptied out while BD is filled to the gills.

At least in Milwaukee, they can't move BDs. :)

betterdan 04-04-07 07:20 AM

Re: Blu-Ray wth???
 
The Best Buys we have around here seem about equal on HD DVD Blu-ray coverage.
I haven't bought anymore HD DVDs simply because there aren't really any titles out there that I want. I still support HD DVD though.

OWA 04-04-07 08:24 AM

Re: Blu-Ray wth???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mullet
I come here from time to time and try and keep up with all the blu-ray vs hd-dvd stuff and I see 7 pages of blu-ray disk and 3 pages of hd-dvd, what is going on, I thought all of you were hardcore hd-dvd people. Since blu-ray has moved to VC-1 ( I think thats right? ) everyone is now moving over?

I don't know...to me it's just a matter of things balancing out. The forum was very anti-blu-ray/pro HD DVD b/c only HD DVD users were posting. Hardly anyone had the capability to play blu-ray titles at the time so there wasn't much reason for any blu-ray info to be posted. Now you have several people with the capability to play blu-ray titles and once people saw there wasn't much difference (i.e. blu-ray isn't the devil), they started voicing their support/opinions/info, etc. So basically, now it's much more balanced b/c you have HD DVD users AND blu-ray users posting instead of just HD DVD users.

Heh, the blu-ray titles thread probably has a lot of pages b/c I've bought a lot of titles. My preference for blu-ray is mostly b/c I'd much rather use the PS3 as a player (my HD DVD player is the x360 addon) and partly b/c I think blu-ray has a better selection of titles available (so far). There are titles I want in both formats though, hence a player for each. Anyway, it doesn't really have much to do with the format itself since I don't notice any difference, most of the time (when I do, it's usually on the early MPEG-2 blu-ray titles).

Blu-ray hasn't moved exclusively to VC-1. They still use MPEG-2, AVC (MPEG-4) and VC-1. It's mostly the dual-format titles that end up with VC-1 on blu-ray. A lot of the newer blu-ray only titles use AVC but there are still a lot of MPEG-2 titles also though.

superklye 04-04-07 09:00 AM

Re: Blu-Ray wth???
 
The codec(s) used is decided by the studio. It's weird, though, that a number of movies that have come out in both formats have been done in VC-1 for HD DVD and MPEG-2 for BD. It seems to me that if you've already done VC-1 for HD DVD, it would make sense to just use that on the BD as well, saving space and allowing for more content on the BD release.

Have yet to see that, though.

Bman212121 04-04-07 12:30 PM

Re: Blu-Ray wth???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OWA
I don't know...to me it's just a matter of things balancing out. The forum was very anti-blu-ray/pro HD DVD b/c only HD DVD users were posting. Hardly anyone had the capability to play blu-ray titles at the time so there wasn't much reason for any blu-ray info to be posted. Now you have several people with the capability to play blu-ray titles and once people saw there wasn't much difference (i.e. blu-ray isn't the devil), they started voicing their support/opinions/info, etc. So basically, now it's much more balanced b/c you have HD DVD users AND blu-ray users posting instead of just HD DVD users.

Heh, the blu-ray titles thread probably has a lot of pages b/c I've bought a lot of titles. My preference for blu-ray is mostly b/c I'd much rather use the PS3 as a player (my HD DVD player is the x360 addon) and partly b/c I think blu-ray has a better selection of titles available (so far). There are titles I want in both formats though, hence a player for each. Anyway, it doesn't really have much to do with the format itself since I don't notice any difference, most of the time (when I do, it's usually on the early MPEG-2 blu-ray titles).

Blu-ray hasn't moved exclusively to VC-1. They still use MPEG-2, AVC (MPEG-4) and VC-1. It's mostly the dual-format titles that end up with VC-1 on blu-ray. A lot of the newer blu-ray only titles use AVC but there are still a lot of MPEG-2 titles also though.

QFT on all accounts. This sub topic started out with all kinds of HD-DVD fans spewing out stuff, then they settled down, and it turned the other way for a while with the Blu-ray fans doing the same. I think now it has finally come down a notch and everyone can actually post a little without getting insta-flamed.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.