nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   openSuse 10.2 and GeForce 6150 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89289)

skunk182 04-05-07 05:23 AM

openSuse 10.2 and GeForce 6150

I have a Gigabyte GA-K8N51PVMT-9-RH motherboard with a GeForce 6150 onboard chipset. I am trying to install the nVidia driver for this motherboard in openSuse 10.2 but without success. If I use Ubuntu and install the nVidia drivers then it all works OK.

I have tried both methods of installation, the easy way using Yast and the harder way from the command line at run level 3.

The easy install using Yast seems to install fine, but Sax still says I am running in Framebuffer mode and cannot change resolution. I think this means the install failed because other posts suggest I should see an nVidia logo prior to Sax starting but I don't.

Having said the above, I do get a new nVidia program showing in the suse menus to modify some card characteristics, but nothing related to resolution or other 'normal' settings.

If I try to install the runnable script from runlevel 3 then the program attempts to download headers/drivers from nVidia but fails. It then tries to compile a driver but also fails suggesting my kernel source path may be wrong.

I am at a loss what to try now since the GeForce 6150 is listed as a supported chipset. I have assumed the Suse version of the driver is reasonably new and can handle the 6150.

Can anyone help this newbie final a working solution? I prefer Suse and would like to stick with it if possible.

Many thanks in advance for help with this problem.

Skunk182

Parox 04-05-07 08:26 AM

Re: openSuse 10.2 and GeForce 6150

I am currently running the 1.0-9746 drivers in Suse 10.2. I have a 6800GT in one machine and a 8800GTX in another. Here is what I remember doing to install the nvidia drivers. The procedure changes slightly each release.

1. Install the kernel-source package. Open YaST2, change the Filter drop down to read “Patterns”. Look for Development in the Pattern window on the left. I always install all the packages under C/C++ Development and Linux Kernel Development. This may prompt for your install disks.

2. execute the following from a command prompt. X can not be running:

su
cd /usr/src/linux
make cloneconfig
make prepare-all
cd /(go the directory you keep the nvidia driver .run file)
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run –kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux (that is two dashes in front of kernel)
modprobe nvidia
sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia (0 is a digit, not a letter)

At this point you should be able to exit out of su and then startx

I posted this information once before in the forum. Netllama replied that I was doing something wrong and included a link to the SUSE Howto. I would like to hear back if this procedure works for you as well.