nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Duke Nukem Forever - old George is talking pretty boldy (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=896)

monkeydust 08-19-02 12:03 AM

Duke Nukem Forever - Old George is talking pretty boldy

I decided to check out the Duke Nukem Forever forums for the first time tonight. George Broussard seems to really talk the talk when speaking of DNF.

A few quotes from his recent posts regarding the games graphics (that's why I was really looking at the forums because I was thinking the UT engine would be showing its age)...

"We have some impressive technology to boot. Anyone who thinks we look like the 2001 video is going to be surprised."

"In all honesty you're going to want a GF3 level card or better (as good as you can afford). If you go lower, you will lose lots and lots of graphics quality - especially vertex/pixel shader effects. This loss will lessen the visual impact quite a bit. It will work on a GF2, but it's just not going to look as good."

"We don't look anything like the 99 screesnhots anymore and lave lots of pixel and vertex shaders in the game."

"I know we're going to target the 1 Ghz range for "average" play. If you are under, it won't be as good, and if you are in the 2+ Ghz range then things should be nicer.
Don't upgrade your systems We won't know full specs until we're done.
But I can assure you that you will want a GF3 or better video card. That's an absolute certainty."

"The delay has been primarily two things. Struggling with tech (which we're pretty much over the hump) and being very, very ambitious with the game. The level of detail and custom content is pretty high. We'd have been much better off making a game that takes place in a generic space station, than tyring to do Vegas, and surrounding areas, each of which require totally new art and level elements. "

"I think the only game that will have superior graphics will be Doom 3. And that's nothing to be ashamed of."

If ya want to look at some of his other posts, just do a search for user 578 here - http://forums.3drealms.com/cgi-bin/u...earch_forum=10

StealthHawk 08-19-02 02:21 AM

well, a total revamping of the engine at least explains(again) why the game has been delayed so long. although i have a feeling this game won't see the light of day for a long time, if ever :D

nin_fragile14 08-19-02 03:53 PM

Ok, they finally have caught up with tech... at least they say they have. Now release it!

DaveW 08-19-02 11:21 PM

Why am I thinking of the Bitboyz?

Matthyahuw 08-20-02 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DaveW
Why am I thinking of the Bitboyz?
Bitboys' new card will have the pre-release version of DNF, kinda like Dronez...LOL sad

netviper13 08-20-02 01:52 AM

I wonder what it will look like, I mean we haven't really had the same release-schedule with Duke as say Quake has had.

zoolap 08-20-02 04:37 AM

I've pretty much given up on DNF, at least Doom 3 and Unreal 2 have something to show.

|JuiceZ| 08-20-02 09:38 AM

DNF *yawn* kinda reminds me of another *cough* D-game, well we'll see what happens....:rolleyes:

SavagePaladin 08-22-02 01:09 AM

They claimed to have tons of content once. If thats true, I'd buy it.

-=DVS=- 08-22-02 03:23 AM

LOL they will never release it they updated it to DX8 now to DX9 and later to DX10 .... its never ends one day and only maybe they will gonna put photos in the game and release it Duke Nukem at last lol :D :p

zoolap 08-22-02 04:14 AM

I've just realised why it's called Duke Nukem Forever, because the game will take forever to be released. :p

Maybe when we're playing Doom 50 in a holodeck :D

DadGT 08-27-02 01:10 PM

I remember reading somewhere that the DNF developers felt they needed about 3 months to put the hype machine back up and generate interest in the game before it's release. If that is true, are we beginning to the see the hype for an (*gasp*) actual release of the game? That means we "only" have 3 more months to wait.

Then again, freezing weather is also fast approaching.