nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   CPUs, Motherboards And Memory (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   AMD Unveils K10-Barcelona Details (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89718)

kam03 04-13-07 08:18 PM

AMD Unveils K10-Barcelona Details

AMD is well on its way to releasing the chip it has dubbed the "Core 2 Duo killer", probably Q3-4 2007, and now has decided to reveal exactly how its K10 "Barcelona" chip plans to make that kill.

The first point AMD stress is that moving to the new K10 using Socket F will only need update the BIOS while both desktop and notebook Barcelona versions will be released.

Technically, Barcelona will be able to deliver 4 Floating Points per clock cycle and will feature an increased buffer while all four cores will carry 512 KB of L1 and an L2 cache and all cores will share the 2 MBs of the L3 cache. According to AMD's European technical director, Guiseppe Amato, the main advantage of the new microprocessor compared to Intel's design is AMD's memory connect design.

This information comes from AMD as Intel prepares the ground for its Developer Forum in Beijing next week. If AMD stick to their usual strategy expect more Barcelona information to be unveiled as the Intel event approaches.

Link: http://server1.megagames.com/news/ht...adetails.shtml

Arioch 04-13-07 09:03 PM

Re: AMD Unveils K10-Barcelona Details

It would be nice to see AMD release a great CPU again but I won't be changing out my motherboard for a couple years, especially since I got a QX6700 that should be good for a while.

Madpistol 04-14-07 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arioch
It would be nice to see AMD release a great CPU again but I won't be changing out my motherboard for a couple years, especially since I got a QX6700 that should be good for a while.

Have to agree with you. If it's that good that it's worth overhauling an already awesome system, then start saving your pennies. I would like to see some benchmarks though.

I remember when I saw the initial benchmarks for "Conroe" as it was called against an FX-60, and I swear I almost wet myself... That was definately a "I know what I want my next system to be" moment. :)

Maverickman 04-14-07 11:01 PM

Barcelona may be faster than the current Core2 CPUs, but Intel won't be sitting still either as the new Peryn CPUs will be coming out with the 1333MHz system bus as well as integrated memory controller. Also, we'll see Core2 CPUs running well in excess of 3GHz, and Intel will also have new Quad-core CPUs out. Man, competition is great!!!!:captnkill:

Xion X2 04-14-07 11:07 PM

Quote:

The first point AMD stress is that moving to the new K10 using Socket F will only need update the BIOS while both desktop and notebook Barcelona versions will be released.
Maybe I'm having a blonde moment, but this statement is confusing the hell outta me. What the heck is this trying to say? Can't be that Socket F will work on an AM2 board w/ a BIOS update.... right? The thought seems too stupid to even verbalize, but how else can you take it?

Sazar 04-14-07 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverickman
Barcelona may be faster than the current Core2 CPUs, but Intel won't be sitting still either as the new Peryn CPUs will be coming out with the 1333MHz system bus as well as integrated memory controller. Also, we'll see Core2 CPUs running well in excess of 3GHz, and Intel will also have new Quad-core CPUs out. Man, competition is great!!!!:captnkill:

You mean nehalem will have an integrated memory controller.

And yes, I can't wait for the summer :)

superklye 04-14-07 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion X2
Maybe I'm having a blonde moment, but this statement is confusing the hell outta me. What the heck is this trying to say? Can't be that Socket F will work on an AM2 board w/ a BIOS update.... right? The thought seems too stupid to even verbalize, but how else can you take it?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing but I just assumed it was a massive typo.

Socket F is what...1204 pins?

Sazar 04-14-07 11:17 PM

1207 pins.

Should be pin-compatible therefore with Barcelona.

Don't know about what will be required and what boards are certified ready to work with Barcelona's requirements.

Amuro 04-14-07 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverickman

But Intel won't have a native quad core till mid 2008 maybe. The first Penryn and Nehalem quad cores will be 2 dual cores packed together.

JayK 04-14-07 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion X2

The way I'm reading it is that the K10 in socket F will only need a BIOS update. And then also they will be releasing socket AM2 versions for the desktop. And they will release a notebook version as well. I just think they used very poor structure in that sentence.

My 2 cents, take it as you will. :)

Viral 04-15-07 12:49 AM

K10 is releasing for Socket F first, then it will move onto the desktop (and notebook) sector where it will use Socket AM2+. AM2+ will be pin compatible with socket AM2 and you will be able to use K10 CPU's made for the AM2+ socket in AM2 boards, but you will not be able to use HT3.0. Time will tell how much that will actually matter, though.

Xion X2 04-15-07 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viral
K10 is releasing for Socket F first, then it will move onto the desktop (and notebook) sector where it will use Socket AM2+. AM2+ will be pin compatible with socket AM2 and you will be able to use K10 CPU's made for the AM2+ socket in AM2 boards, but you will not be able to use HT3.0. Time will tell how much that will actually matter, though.

What is socket F on, then, if it's not for a desktop or notebook?