nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Ubuntu 7.04 TOMORROW (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89991)

six_storm 04-18-07 03:41 PM

Ubuntu 7.04 TOMORROW

Yes, the newest release of Ubuntu "Feisty Fawn" is going to be released tomorrow.

www.ubuntu.com

I'll have to give this one a try tomorrow!

grey_1 04-18-07 04:01 PM

Re: Ubuntu 7.04 TOMORROW

Depends if I have to jump through hoops to get my 8800 working. Me thinks I'll wait for user feedback, but thanks for the heads up.

carlos 04-18-07 07:43 PM

Yes - I am very excited for this release and the 2.6.20 kernel. I will be downloading via Bittorrent and seeding which I hope all you will.

I will be grabbing the "Alerternative CD" which supports Software RAID.

six_storm 04-18-07 09:29 PM

I just finally figured out how to get my SATA drive to work so I doubt I'll be pulling any type of RAID lol. Windows required me to run a RAID but thank God Ubuntu doesn't. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I'm actually turning my "gaming PC" into a media server, so wish me luck.

six_storm 04-20-07 11:02 AM

I've got 7.04 on my PC and it's been a great experience so far. There is a new "Wireless Network Manager", it pretty much takes out the process of installing a bunch of crap with a bunch of apt-get's, so not bad. I haven't tried it out on a laptop yet, prolly won't. Also, Compiz is built in. Once you active the "NVIDIA 3D Accellerator Driver" and restart, Compiz BEAUTIFULLY gives your wobbly windows and other desktop effects.

Installation is easy, just like others. The only bug that I've come across is the resolution. You WILL be stuck at 1024x768. I've tried to install NVIDIA drivers manually and edited xorg.conf but it won't go through. Many other people are having the same problem I am. Hopefully, an update or solution will fix this problem.

carlos 04-20-07 05:24 PM

I have it running and beyond Compiz and all the other stuff which I think is turning Ubuntu and Linux in the wrong direction, it's great. They have added support in the Kernel for RAID6 and now it supports SCSI / SAS / S-ATA Optical.

Seems that they are getting it right now...

Ov3nCleaner 04-21-07 11:22 AM

ahh its very temping to install that :X

but at a security standpoint, it dosnt have features i need such as Pax, grsecurity, and advanced gcc features like pie by default. Im to paranoid to run it because i host things like sshd, tinyproxy, and openvpn all open to the internet.

its a very tempting install in terms of base usability, but if gentoo bitches anymore, i proboly would just use ubuntu lol

hirantha 05-21-07 01:20 PM

i'm downloading 7.04 for desktop right now have one question though. do i install this in Curently installed Windows or do i create a bootable CD with this ISO??

grey_1 05-21-07 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirantha
i'm downloading 7.04 for desktop right now have one question though. do i install this in Curently installed Windows or do i create a bootable CD with this ISO??

The alternate install CD has always worked best for me. You will need to make it a bootable disc, yes.

hirantha 05-22-07 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1
The alternate install CD has always worked best for me. You will need to make it a bootable disc, yes.

thanx gray!

grey_1 05-22-07 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirantha
thanx gray!

yw! :)

atriq 05-23-07 09:47 PM

Not to thread jack, but I don't think my question warrants an entirely new thread:

Do the Ubuntu distro's require the release CDs to update to the next version or can you just perform some sort of net-based update?

Just something I've always wondered since it always seems like there's a mad-dash to download the isos at every new release, or at least more-so than the ones with arbitrary iso releases (arch, gentoo, and the like).