nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Driver installation problems for Ubuntu 7.04 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90362)

Da-Bomb1 04-24-07 07:13 PM

Driver installation problems for Ubuntu 7.04

I was just trying to install the x86 linux display driver and whenever I try to, it says that it needs to be in the root, but I couldn't log into the root account in any way. Is it normally like this, and how can I install it? (I'm a linux newbie, btw)

milonix 04-24-07 07:19 PM

Re: Driver installation problems for Ubuntu 7.04

use the sudo -i coomand

Da-Bomb1 04-24-07 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milonix
use the sudo -i coomand

How does that command work, and what does it do? (As I said before, I have no experience whatsoever with linux)

Da-Bomb1 04-24-07 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da-Bomb1
How does that command work, and what does it do? (As I said before, I have no experience whatsoever with linux)

Oh, nevermind, I just typed it in and figured it out.

Da-Bomb1 04-24-07 07:49 PM

Quote:

Oh, nevermind, I just typed it in and figured it out.

Now I'm having problems with the x server... What do I do to fix that? (I tried to use nvidia's program for it, but I couldn't get it to work)

milonix 04-24-07 07:59 PM

Quote:

Now I'm having problems with the x server... What do I do to fix that? (I tried to use nvidia's program for it, but I couldn't get it to work)

whats wrong with the x server?

Da-Bomb1 04-24-07 08:13 PM

Quote:

whats wrong with the x server?

It just says that it's running, and I should close it. But I can't find out how... I checked the readme thingy on the nvidia website that told me how to manually edit the xconfig file, but I don't have root-admin permissions so I can't save it. Do you know how to log in as the root user?

milonix 04-24-07 08:28 PM

Well the frist thing to is hit ctrl+alt+backspace to restart x then hit ctrl+alt+f2
then login your user then type killall gdm for gnome and killall kde for kde . now use cd command to get yourself to the folder where the installer is and run it

Da-Bomb1 04-24-07 08:36 PM

Quote:

Well the frist thing to is hit ctrl+alt+backspace to restart x then hit ctrl+alt+f2
then login your user then type killall gdm for gnome and killall kde for kde . now use cd command to get yourself to the folder where the installer is and run it

What does doing all of this stuff do? (And what is the cd command?)

milonix 04-24-07 08:40 PM

cd = chang's dir..

all that does is close's x server so your able load your driver's

Da-Bomb1 04-24-07 08:45 PM

Quote:

cd = chang's dir..

all that does is close's x server so your able load your driver's

Do I have to write down the directory for the installer so that I can type it in later?

Da-Bomb1 04-24-07 08:59 PM

Quote:

Do I have to write down the directory for the installer so that I can type it in later?

Well, I just got everything to work, except it says that I need libc header files or something now... I have no idea what those are or where to get them. (The computer isn't connected to the internet either, so I have to transfer things with a flash drive from this computer)