nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Need some info! (First time with Intel in a long time!) (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90913)

|MaguS| 05-04-07 09:55 PM

Need some info! (First time with Intel in a long time!)

Ok, well im testing out my CPU to see its limits but I really know nothing about OCing an Intel Core 2. I tried reading some online but much of the info doesn't match the options in my Bios, main reason I always hated Asus.

If anyone can share some info on the settings and what I should set some **** at please don't be shy... share. :)

A guide or infomation website wouldn't hurt either. Also whats the "safe" Temps for stock cooling? I haven't invested in an aftermarket cooler yet.

Another concern would be, I read that RAM ratios are really bad on Core 2s. Any truth to that?

Um anything else I haven't mentioned and I need to know please say so...

|MaguS| 05-04-07 10:11 PM

Re: Need some info! (First time with Intel in a long time!)

ROFL, I see no performance boost from going AMD to Intel in R6Vegas! LOL

buffbiff21 05-04-07 10:15 PM

Check it out: if you're new to Intel, just know that Intel chips use an electrical interface known as the Front Side Bus. This interface provides a gateway for communication between the CPU and the memory controller located in the northbridge chip.

What difference does this make when coming from AMD? it means that you MUST lock your front side bus and memory ratio to at least 1:1. That's really it. Your memory needs to be operating 2 times as fast as the CPU's FSB in order to match the CPU's L2 bandwidth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Also whats the "safe" Temps for stock cooling? I haven't invested in an aftermarket cooler yet.

Let's start with temperature first. At full load, ideally, you don't want to push over 60*C. (it's rated up to 85*C, but conventionally, we want a long life for your chip) With stock cooler, that will be around 1.4 vcore IIRC it's been a while since I've used that piece of crap :cool: .

At first, I suggest bumping up vcore to 1.4. Increase the front side bus by increments, (just jump right to 1333 QDR [333 bus]) and then checking if your system boots.
If it boots into Windows, keep increasing the FSB until it DOES NOT boot. Then back down, let it boot, and then run a quick 1meg PI test.
If it passes a PI test, then go right for 24 hr Orthos test while monitoring your temperature (use iTAT or CoreTemp).

Quote:

Another concern would be, I read that RAM ratios are really bad on Core 2s. Any truth to that?
Nope. There's no such thing as a "bad" ram ratio. Leave it at 1:1 or you will flood your CPU's fsb. (say, if your FSB is 266 (1066 QDR) stock, then you want your RAM at 533; if you bump it up to 333 (1333) then you want your RAM at 667.)

Leave all other voltages alone for now. Report back here after a day and I can help you further.

|MaguS| 05-04-07 10:42 PM

Man I hate Asus, I can't boot with 1:1 setting with their bios but if I set it to "sync" it boots... CPU-Z reports sync to set my ram to 1:1 anyway.

I really don't get how RAM speed and FSB is calculated on Intel... With AMD it was so easy... Is it showing my RAM Frequency at 333hz good (basically double it and it gives you 666hz)?

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7143/oclx3.jpg

Man, I should have stayed with intel! :confused:

buffbiff21 05-04-07 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Man I hate Asus, I can't boot with 1:1 setting with their bios

It has nothing to do with ASUS bro. It is a lame BIOS mystery in some Phoenix/Award systems.

The front side bus is 266, the rated speed of your CPU's front side bus is 1066. (Conroes use quad data rate; the data is read on the top and bottom of the sine wave, and also as the wave passes through "point zero." For your memory, (double data rate,) your bus will still be 266, but memory will be rated 533.)

Quote:

but if I set it to "sync" it boots...
Correct :) "Sync" means true 1:1 ratio.

"1:1" under BIOS is NOT the same as 1:1 FSB/memory. it will lock your memory to exactly what your rated bus speed is. if you had your CPU stock, then "1:1" under BIOS would be 1066 ram speed with 2.4 GHz CPU. That is a 1:2 ratio! Very strenuous on the memory controller; extra logic is required for buffering of all that useless bandwidth.

to be honest, I have no idea what crackhead called that 1:1, but it's not the same as "sync."

"Sync" is what you're after. ;) It evens out the L2 cache and the memory frequency so you do not flood the CPU's front side bus.

Side note: your memory is 800 MHz stock, so that will net you an easy OC of 3.6 GHz, without having to adjust vdimm :)

|MaguS| 05-04-07 11:08 PM

See knowing that sync is actually 1:1 clears SOOOO much up.

3DMark06 @ 11450 with CPU at 3Ghz.

mullet 05-05-07 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffbiff21
"Sync" is what you're after. ;) It evens out the L2 cache and the memory frequency so you do not flood the CPU's front side bus.

Could you elaborate more on this, I don't understand flooding the CPU's FSB? I am running 500x7 3.5Ghz with 2000FSB and mem @ 1000 1:1, is my FSB to high?

BTW congratulations |MaguS| on your Intel system. I had a hell of a time trying to understand the Intel side of OCing to.

DMx 05-05-07 01:34 AM

You might want to be more careful with the labelling of clock speeds, MHz and Hz are a BIIIIIIG difference ;)

1MHz = 1,000,000Hz

Xion X2 05-05-07 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mullet
Could you elaborate more on this, I don't understand flooding the CPU's FSB? I am running 500x7 3.5Ghz with 2000FSB and mem @ 1000 1:1, is my FSB to high?

[Edited because I'm stupid]

You're fine, Mullet--unless you want to try running a lower FSB. I kept my FSB @ 500 with a 1:1 ratio on my ram at 1000mHz and it was 100% stable, but looking back on it now I might've tried running a lower FSB for longevity's sake with a higher multiplier. Running a 500FSB constantly has to tax the board a little.

But Ben's right about the Intels. They have a hard time reaching 100% stability w/ a heavy overclock with anything other than a 1:1 FSB/RAM ratio.

mullet 05-05-07 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xion X2
Non-SLI boards have an easier time running RAM out of sync than SLI boards.

You're fine, Mullet--unless you want to try running a lower FSB. I kept my FSB @ 500 with a 1:2 ratio on my ram at 1000mHz and it was 100% stable, but looking back on it now I might've tried running a lower FSB for longevity's sake. Running a 500FSB constantly has to tax the board a little.

But Ben's right when it comes to the SLI boards. They have a hard time reaching 100% stability w/ a heavy overclock with anything other than a 1:1 FSB/RAM ratio.

ok cool.

Xion X2 05-05-07 02:06 AM

Sorry, forget what I said. I went back and edited my post. Even I'm getting confused, and I've done this all before plenty of times. :)

You're running a 1:1 ratio right now, which is probably why it's stable. My P5B Deluxe was always stable at the settings you have yours at. For some reason I was thinking that I ran my RAM out of sync with that board, but that's not the case. It was always set at a 1:1.

So Ben's probably right not only about SLI boards but non-SLI boards as well. Probably just has to do with the memory controller in the northbridge as opposed to AMDs being on-die, like he said.

Ben, when'd you get so damn smart, bro? ;) You're talking this stuff up like a computer engineer. Is that what your major is?

Dude's only 19 years old and he sounds like a pro already. I wish I'd started messing around with all this stuff when I was his age. It took me too long to get into this business.

mullet 05-05-07 02:08 AM

ok ok cool, what you said did make sense. HAHA well if I try anything besides 1:1 this mobo doesn't like it at all.