nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Universal May go Neutral..... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91202)

1337_Like_ThaT 05-09-07 05:29 PM

Universal May go Neutral.....

Still in the air but rumors from a famous German IT news site is claiming that Universal may go Neutral (Unforutnately in German only):

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/89498

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu-Ray.Com
Heise Online, a German IT website, is reporting that during a press conference, representatives from Pioneer announced that Universal will break their exclusivity agreement with HD DVD. This would allow Universal, the only large studio exclusively supporting HD DVD, to freely distribute their movies on Blu-ray. It is important to note that this announcement has not yet been confirmed by Universal.

I'm not believing this until it happens, but I'm just thinking that if this were to be true and eventually end up happening, this would swing the format wars in a completely new direction, possibly making a dominant winner eventually...

GamerGuyX 05-09-07 06:44 PM

Re: Universal May go Neutral.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1337_Like_ThaT
I'm not believing this until it happens, but I'm just thinking that if this were to be true and eventually end up happening, this would swing the format wars in a completely new direction, possibly making a dominant winner eventually...

I can only hope. Like both equally but I want just one format. Better for everybody.

|MaguS| 05-09-07 08:25 PM

WOOT! No need for me to go out and buy an HD-DVD player now... lets hope it ends up being true. :D

superklye 05-09-07 08:47 PM

Jesus.

NO.

Pioneer claimed this. Not Universal. wtf is Pinoneer doing saying this **** anyway? How is it there place/responsibility? Until it comes from Universal, it's nothing but BS. Check out AVS for more information, but stop spreading this FUD.

|MaguS| 05-09-07 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superklye
Jesus.

NO.

Pioneer claimed this. Not Universal. wtf is Pinoneer doing saying this **** anyway? How is it there place/responsibility? Until it comes from Universal, it's nothing but BS. Check out AVS for more information, but stop spreading this FUD.

Shush you, let me dream of owning Serenity on Blu-Ray. :(

1337_Like_ThaT 05-10-07 07:26 PM

Sorry guys no go for Universal :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu-Ray.com.Com
Update: Craig Kornblau, the President of Universal Studios Home Entertainment contacted Engadget saying that the report from Heise is "totally false."

Good thing I have both players for now so I get a taste of both words

kevJ420 05-10-07 08:11 PM

I don't know much about this and haven't researched, but I would guess this would be a big problem for HD-DVD.

But I don't know **** about the war other than what it may seem to me.

The other thing it seems to me like, is that bluray seems technologically superior, and that people don't want to use b/c they hold a grudge against Sony even though Sony didn't make it.

Like I said, try to refrain from flaming me, I have no idea what's right.

I've just been hoping for digital downloads to take over.

ADD: UNCOMPRESSED digital d/l's

superklye 05-10-07 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevJ420
Like I said, try to refrain from flaming me, I have no idea what's right.

Then shut up and research instead of posting, retard.

XxDeadlyxX 05-11-07 09:40 AM

HD-DVD needs Universal to stay exclusive to put up a fight. Universal going neutral will be the first of many nails in the coffin for HD-DVD if it happens.

superklye 05-11-07 10:02 AM

Yup...the $300 stand-alones (Toshiba HD-A2 on Amazon) and $200 (or less) 360 addon have nothing to do with how well the format is doing, nor do huge exclusives like The Matrix trilogy.

Yup. HD DVD sure is dead without Universal. :rolleyes2

Remember when everyone made such a huge deal about Fox backing BD-only and they pretty much fell off the face of the earth?

Remember when BD hadn't finalized specs for BD-J yet and "finally will" in 10/07? And that those "finalized" specs will likely render all currently BD players completely useless because they won't support features of post 10/07 BD discs.

Maybe if the BDA got their dicks out of their hands and got their **** together, they might actually be a threat. Meanwhile, come October, my HD DVD players are still going to play all current and all future releases.

GamerGuyX 05-13-07 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superklye
Meanwhile, come October, my HD DVD players are still going to play all current and all future releases.

That's assuming Universal gets it's **** together with regards to it's Combo disc releases.

superklye 05-13-07 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GamerGuyX
That's assuming Universal gets it's **** together with regards to it's Combo disc releases.

Yeah...stupid Children of Men and The Good Shepherd.

I read over at AVS that people are STILL having problems with the "fixed" re-releases of both. :(