nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   p5b + e6400 + 2gb corsair never been clocked :( (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91606)

XDanger 05-16-07 01:32 PM

p5b + e6400 + 2gb corsair never been clocked :(

Ive had it quite a while now and never overclocked my current pc at all, Im just too much of a chicken with all my new(ish) parts.

Can somebody PLEASE throw some numbers at me ,A nice gentle OC bios configuration to start me off please, But something that will show a difference in fear or whatever..

PLEASE :)

stevemedes 05-16-07 06:43 PM

Re: p5b + e6400 + 2gb corsair never been clocked :(

Here ya go!

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=41

buffbiff21 05-16-07 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevemedes

Tony's guide is the best guide out there :)

THough what type of Corsair RAM is that? you may struggle to break higher than 400 FSB with the junk Promo chips. EDIT Hmmm XMS will be a toughie to overclock.

P5b Dlx goes above 500 easily.. but Promo IC chips DO NOT.

XDanger 05-17-07 02:03 PM

i think pushing up ram for its own sake to be mostly fruitless anyway, but I do have an ocz ram cooler that might help a bit (if I ever get around to fitting it) if I rip off the heatspreaders and put some nice sinks on there, But then id have to sell them if I wanted 4gb because of the lack of space between slots.
But then I think more ram is better than slightly faster ram anyway.

I have a lot of small mosfet heatsinks left over from an old build ,is there any place on a p5b that would be good to use them on?

Is the p5b optional heatpipe fan always a no no with air cooling?

stevemedes 05-17-07 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XDanger
i think pushing up ram for its own sake to be mostly fruitless anyway, but I do have an ocz ram cooler that might help a bit (if I ever get around to fitting it) if I rip off the heatspreaders and put some nice sinks on there, But then id have to sell them if I wanted 4gb because of the lack of space between slots.
But then I think more ram is better than slightly faster ram anyway.

I have a lot of small mosfet heatsinks left over from an old build ,is there any place on a p5b that would be good to use them on?

Is the p5b optional heatpipe fan always a no no with air cooling?

Yeah dont use that heatpipe fan if ur using an air cooler.

I noticed when i was running my mobo outside the case once that theres these little chips in the far bottom left corner of the board that gets SUPER hot. Maybe you could put mosfet heatsinks on that. Let us know how the overclocking goes!

XDanger 05-19-07 07:57 AM

Ok , I just went ahead and set ddr speed to the lower than ddr800 setting (647 or something I cant remember) then pushed up the fsb up so its back at ddr800 so the ram is at stock, so the cpu is running at 2.56ghz, vcore left on auto for now,

Speedfan is showing idle cpu 37 Core1 40 core2 39 -+3 degrees fluctuating
Am I safe temp wise, to load the cpu or is it a little too warm
edit; just ran vista experience index thing and core1 went up to 50 during the cpu test, this seems too hot

Does auto vcore push up the voltage needlessly ,I see you run at 1.35v for a much bigger oc, mine says 1.38v on auto IDLE

Another edit , Whats the vdroop mod thing this guy is talking about... (the this months winner)
http://www.custompc.co.uk/custompc/r...ry/page11.html
(4ghz e6400 with phase change :) nice)

Edit, Im trying stock voltage now, vcore 1.29 (vdroop 0.03 ish) cpu 2.6ghz idle cpu-33 core1-35 core2-35,I need to put a fan on my nb
Havnt loaded yet but i'll probly get a bsod.

My cpu is only unlocked for 6,7+8 not 10 ,thats a downer I think.

I got a memtest error at about 80% last night @ ddr800 ,Probably a lack of voltage(left on auto) or overheating the nb ????
http://shutter02.pictures.aol.com/da...33Axno0300.jpg
Any chance you could point out the hot spot.. (what makes that group of vrm's at the top(with the sink) more important than the ones on the side?

Also ive read that pushing the pci-e clock up too much mucks up the sata controller causing data corruption ,would sinking it help that.
My expected answer is "just do it ya big nancy" Im such a wuss (2.6ghz oc meh)

ANOTHER THING, Is it easy to pop the cap off the nb so I can put a fan on there?

More Edit:- Going from 2.6 to 3.2 has made zero diffrence to load temps(max 44), :)

Although the vcore is 1.31v ,I should expect to be unstable with it that low??

I guess thats down to the individual cpu though isnt it.

Cut from some thread:---The revision B2 E6400 could run 3200 MHz reliably at a default of 1.325 volts. Some people over volt their cpu when maybe it's their northbridge or memory that could use a little extra voltage. end quote
I got a b2 so thats ok

HYBRID 05-22-07 03:26 PM

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77462

the link above has a picture of the TT chipset fan I use on my board take a look.

XDanger 05-23-07 03:41 PM

Yeah I was looking at that with my previous build, I should be ok just adding a fan to the stock nb sink though (if that cap comes off easily)

Does nobody use the asus ai booster because its crappy ,or because everyones used to using the bios?

DAMN SUMMER STARTED TODAY SO I HAVE TO CLOCK DOWN ,I PREFER WINTER.

Having said that about just using a fan on the nb ,Ive read that the whole nb heatpipe thing is stuck down (badly in some cases) with pads,
I should really change that situation or risk frucktication.

IM VERY SORRY ABOUT THIS THREAD, ITS ACTING MORE AS A MEMOPAD THAN ANYTHING ELSE

I need more Northpole vrm sinks as I only have 2 of the tiny ones left

I notice the mounting holes for the missing right hand heatsink are still there, I wonder if there are any available to buy from anywhere?

alitayyab 05-31-07 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XDanger

Does auto vcore push up the voltage needlessly ,I see you run at 1.35v for a much bigger oc, mine says 1.38v on auto IDLE

there are a couple of posts on anandtech forums with regards to Vcore (and other Voltages) on the p5b-xx series.
keeping the voltage on auto does exactly that.. automatically adjust the Voltage(s) .
its best to set all Voltages to manual (value) if u plan on oc'ing or even otherwise!

i have a c2d-e6400 @2.8, keeping the voltage on auto takes the Vcore to 1.4, manually i can keep it at 1.29 and it still works great.

(that reminds me... i have to update my sig!)

mullet 05-31-07 11:57 PM

XDanger, the NB runs pretty cool but I did add a 40x40mm fan on the NB & SB. From what I have read if your OC the ram 1:1 stay out of the 360 to 400 range because of the strap it runs the NB up pretty hard and generates a lot of heat. Once you get above the 400 range the timings are relaxed on the NB thus bringing down the heat some. I hope I made since.

stevemedes posted a great link that will help explain it a lot better.

XDanger 06-01-07 01:03 PM

I was running it at 3.2 @400 for a while but game music was running fast/looping so I stopped that, no other problems though.

Did you just put a fan on the NB?
If you took the cap off how did you fit the fan?