nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What software do you overclock your cpu with (Intel)? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91672)

Jon 05-17-07 03:38 PM

What software do you overclock your cpu with (Intel)?

I'm currently running my Q6600 at 3ghz (333x9) using EasyTune5...

For some reason, my bios can't boot at even (267x9) and autorecovers to defaults.

The only thing I need to do is get my fsb from 266 to 333 every time windows starts.

So I was just wondering what software everyone else is using? I find EasyTune 5 a bit bloated.

Should probably mention its a 965 board (Gigabyte DS3P)

$n][pErMan 05-17-07 05:25 PM

Re: What software do you overclock your cpu with (Intel)?

People still use software to OC thier CPU's?? I just do it in the BIOS.

Jon 05-17-07 06:25 PM

I'd use the bios as well if Gigabyte would fix it!

SlieTheSecond 05-17-07 08:48 PM

If you can overclock from windows but not from bios. Then one of two things are happening.

A) You are not properly overclocking in bios. And the software is making adjustments other than just upping the FSB.
B) You computer is not stable which is causing it not to boot.
Have you ran stability tests after overclocking in windows?

Madpistol 05-18-07 12:08 AM

I use my bios. It's been completely reliable thus far. Why use anything else when something is working perfectly to begin with? :rolleyes:

Jon 05-18-07 03:10 AM

Quote:

If you can overclock from windows but not from bios. Then one of two things are happening.

A) You are not properly overclocking in bios. And the software is making adjustments other than just upping the FSB.
B) You computer is not stable which is causing it not to boot.
Have you ran stability tests after overclocking in windows?

From what I have read on various forums, there is an issue a fair number of people are getting where the Gigabyte DS3P bios won't allow overclocking to be enabled when using an Nvidia card. The only solution that has been found is to 1:- Use an Ati Card or 2:- Boot from a PCI card, enable overclocking then shut down and put your pci-e graphics card back in.

In windows, my computer is stable at 3ghz and I have tested it as 100% stable... and have in fact clocked it higher as of last night.

I can't even enable the overclocking options in the bios at the moment.

SlieTheSecond 05-18-07 08:03 AM

You can't enable overclocking? I thought you said you could increase your fsb in bios and it will not boot?

(I have never used your mobo, not sure what you mean there)

Jon 05-18-07 08:21 AM

Quote:

You can't enable overclocking? I thought you said you could increase your fsb in bios and it will not boot?

(I have never used your mobo, not sure what you mean there)
The bios basically has [Host clock speed] : [enable][disable]
Then it has the fsb setting.

If I enable Host clock speed and then just leave the fsb at the default 266, when I reboot it auto recovers. There is a massive 65 page thread about it on vr-zone. It appears to be a conflict between the motherboard and nvidia graphics cards.

Which is why I need some nice overclocking software cause EasyTune5 works great... but its very in your face.

This is from an unofficial FAQ:

Quote:

[Q] Why can’t I overclock at all?
Symptoms of no o/c’ing at all (may be one, may be all):
Cannot change PCIe bus speed, after changing to anything from Auto the system resets in POST before mem testing.
Cannot change fsb because system resets as above.
Changing any V in BIOS doesn’t make any difference in o/c.
Changing timing in BIOS doesn’t make any difference in o/c

Changing in my mind means ex. 267fsb (stock 266), 265fsb and so on. These are slightly (and more significant) changes which cannot be done. This is not a problem of >450fsb or sth. This is a problem of no o/c at all!
This is not a problem of a fsbwall – this is not for you if you have already overclocked even a 1Mhz!

[A]Your VGA card is probably making MB not to overclock. Try buying some crappy PCI /not PCIe/ VGA 1MB card (or 2, 4 MBs ) and putting it in, booting with only PCI VGA. It worked for me, I could overclock and when I finished I put my 7600GS inside. Everything is working quite ok If not, just try another video card but a different model.

darkrider01 05-18-07 03:00 PM

This may or may not apply to your situation:

In several of the Gigabyte mobos I have used as of late, most of the overclocking options are hidden. When you come into your BIOS main screen, Press CTRL+F1. Then, when you go into your "M.I.T." section, you'll have a ton more options available.

If you already knew about all that, sorry I couldn't help more.

Jon 05-18-07 04:25 PM

I've had a breakthrough... its currently overclocked to 3ghz in the bios!!!

It turns out after trying everything I could think of... the ds3p board can't overclock with ANY USB devices attached (except keyboard or mouse). So tomorrow I need to pick up an internal usb card.

Strange but true! But given the choice between a 2.4ghz quad core and usb hub or 3ghz quad core and buying a cheap internal usb card... I know which one I'll be doing.

Thanks for all the suggestions. :D

$n][pErMan 05-18-07 05:20 PM

My dads MSI board hides the overclocking options. Why with everyone OC'ing these days would you hide something so important?!?!

Aphot 05-18-07 05:33 PM

BIOS, :headexplode: