nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows XP And Vista (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Vista Home Premium x64Bit vs Vista Ultimate x64Bit? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91784)

ATOJAR 05-19-07 04:38 PM

Vista Home Premium x64Bit vs Vista Ultimate x64Bit?

Ive been running the trial version of ultimate for a while now and i am soon going to be upgrading to a full version of vista! 300 for ultimate is quite expensive in my view so i have been thinking of getting home Premium x64Bit for around 180. is there really much of a difference between Home Premium & Ultimate? ... if so what are they? ... i mostly use my pc for gaming, watching the odd movie, listening to music(sometimes) & browsing the internet.

Basically what features does ultimate have that home Premium doesnt?

Thanks.

KasuCode 05-19-07 05:10 PM

Re: Vista Home Premium x64Bit vs Vista Ultimate x64Bit?

You dont get dreamscene with Home Premium. I think some harddrive features too. Some encryption stuff I think. I cant think of any others off the top of my head.

radekhulan 05-19-07 05:21 PM

Ultimate vs Home Premium:
- can login to domain (no need at home)
- video as a background (annoying)
- bitlocker boot drive encryption (nice, but only boot partition, no other drive!)

So, go for Home Premium x64 (or get Ultimate OEM, similar price).

Redeemed 05-20-07 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radekhulan
Ultimate vs Home Premium:
- can login to domain (no need at home)
- video as a background (annoying)
- bitlocker boot drive encryption (nice, but only boot partition, no other drive!)

So, go for Home Premium x64 (or get Ultimate OEM, similar price).

Actually, I really enjoy dreamscene a lot. I'm just bummed that I can't use it and game at the same time. Otherwise my system will crash. :( Might just be a G80 driver bug as it's always the display driver that crashes.

XDanger 05-22-07 02:13 PM

Vista 64 Home Premium OEM 54.30 inc VAT

gulizard 05-22-07 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed
Actually, I really enjoy dreamscene a lot. I'm just bummed that I can't use it and game at the same time. Otherwise my system will crash. :( Might just be a G80 driver bug as it's always the display driver that crashes.

I get the same thing, and mine don't crash my screen just flashes off after sometime, of gaming, and the one time I managed to avoid restarting I did see that my graphics driver had crashed, and Vista was looking for a solution as to why, but it crashed and vista restarted it... The second time it happened it just kept flashing off, and on and I couldn't do anything...

Good tip Pause DreamScene while your gaming.

Redeemed 05-22-07 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gulizard
I get the same thing, and mine don't crash my screen just flashes off after sometime, of gaming, and the one time I managed to avoid restarting I did see that my graphics driver had crashed, and Vista was looking for a solution as to why, but it crashed and vista restarted it... The second time it happened it just kept flashing off, and on and I couldn't do anything...

Good tip Pause DreamScene while your gaming.

Um... pausing didn't solve the problem. Not using Dreamscene altogether solved the problem. :(

Rakeesh 05-22-07 07:52 PM

I hate dreamscene to be honest. It looks neato but its buggy.

ATOJAR 05-23-07 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XDanger
Vista 64 Home Premium OEM 54.30 inc VAT

What site is that? ... the cheapest i can find it is 68!

XDanger 05-24-07 06:27 PM

Ebuyer + 10 off with google checkout!!!!

Or theres this
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/123047 (thats 105.73 for Ultimate ,with google checkout)
If you really need ultimate (which you dont)