nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA FreeBSD (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   x11base change (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91857)

Ernest 05-21-07 06:42 AM

x11base change

Due to the recent x11 base dir change in FreeBSD, packages in this repository could fail to build in systems with xorg 7.2. At least this is my today's experience with version 1.0-9755. Although the xorg upgrade process creates a symlink x11base -> localbase, the issue with LIBDIR is not handled and make cannot find the new /usr/local/lib/xorg directory, IIRC.

Nvidia-driver in FreeBSD ports is already fixed and builds fine, but version is 9674 (IIRC, again).

HTH

Ernest 05-25-07 01:20 AM

Re: x11base change

Quoting myself:

> Nvidia-driver in FreeBSD ports is already fixed and builds fine

...yeah, but haven't got it to work for four days, so now I am asking for help.

I can run X apps with the nv driver, but the nvidia-driver fails. I get always a segmentation error. Typescript [...comments...]:

# X -config xorg.conf.new [...using the nv driver...]
X Window System Version 7.2.0
Release Date: 22 January 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.2
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE i386
Current Operating System: FreeBSD asinusaureus 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #0: Thu May 24 11:20:28 CEST 2007 root@asinusaureus:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ZORN i386
Build Date: 21 May 2007
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu May 24 11:56:19 2007
(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)

[...works fine; same if I launch the desktop...]

# X -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf [...now as configured with nvidia-xconfig...]
X Window System Version 7.2.0
Release Date: 22 January 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.2
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE i386
Current Operating System: FreeBSD asinusaureus 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #0: Thu May 24 11:20:28 CEST 2007 root@asinusaureus:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ZORN i386
Build Date: 21 May 2007
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu May 24 11:57:34 2007
(++) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

[...shows the nvidia splash screen and then aborts...]

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

Abort (core dumped)

# tail /var/log/messages
[...]
May 24 11:57:37 asinusaureus kernel: pid 1840 (Xorg), uid 0: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)

No relevant info in xorg logs.

After much looking, I am still clueless. Any hint?

bugmeplz 05-27-07 04:35 PM

I have sucessfully built it for xorg-7.2, changing the DRIVERDIR in:
NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-100.14.06/x11/driver/Makefile
NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-100.14.06/x11/extension/Makefile
NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-100.14.06/x11/lib/Makefile

e.g.

< DRIVERDIR= ${X11BASE}/lib/modules/drivers
---
> DRIVERDIR= ${X11BASE}/lib/xorg/modules/drivers

Maybe this is rude, but I just watched at the install errors and not all the full code.

Ernest 05-28-07 03:46 PM

I assume you are replying to my first post. I am now stuck on another issue--I would have had to start a new thread, but at the same time wanted to rectify the optimism regarding driver in ports, and suspected the problem could be related to the x11 base change.

To the point of your message: I reviewed the Makefiles in the driver in ports, and in that version DRIVERDIR is present only in .../drivers/Makefile. More often LIBDIR is also affected. I tried correcting both, it built OK but at runtime got the same error.

So I think I will do a fresh OS install.

bugmeplz 05-28-07 06:19 PM

Oh, sorry, I didn't noticed you were referring to 1.0-9755.
I've just assembled a pc yesterday with a 8500 so I had to use the beta 100.14.06. I've solved the problem about the moved X11BASE in the way I've described.
Anyway is there any particular reason why you are not using the ports (1.0-9746)? Is your GPU unsupported?

Are you getting install error launching make config?

Ernest 05-29-07 02:45 AM

What a mess with versions! Will review the whole story:

First I tried 1.0-9755 (last non-beta in nVidia site; worked for me on Xorg 6.9) and got build errors, AFAIK because of the LIBDIR --and perhaps DRIVEDIR-- path issue. Hence my caveat which I supposed applicable to all versions in this site, as seems confirmed by your experience with 100.14.06.

Then, my card being supported by last version in ports, 1.0-9746, I tried this one, supposedly patched to meet the new directory tree layout (quoting by heart, I misspelled it as 9674: forget this). Indeed it built fine, but:
(1) it doesn't work, as detailed in my second post -- may or may not be related to the x11 base change, as never tried this version before; and
(2) reviewing the Makefiles after your advice, apparently there are path issues still to fix, but changing (some of) these by hand didn't make much better: driver builds but still doesn't work.

Other reports of success or failure will help to understand if this is just an issue of mine or there is something broken -- here and/or in ports.

flz 05-29-07 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest
What a mess with versions! Will review the whole story:

First I tried 1.0-9755 (last non-beta in nVidia site; worked for me on Xorg 6.9) and got build errors, AFAIK because of the LIBDIR --and perhaps DRIVEDIR-- path issue. Hence my caveat which I supposed applicable to all versions in this site, as seems confirmed by your experience with 100.14.06.

Then, my card being supported by last version in ports, 1.0-9746, I tried this one, supposedly patched to meet the new directory tree layout (quoting by heart, I misspelled it as 9674: forget this). Indeed it built fine, but:
(1) it doesn't work, as detailed in my second post -- may or may not be related to the x11 base change, as never tried this version before; and
(2) reviewing the Makefiles after your advice, apparently there are path issues still to fix, but changing (some of) these by hand didn't make much better: driver builds but still doesn't work.

Other reports of success or failure will help to understand if this is just an issue of mine or there is something broken -- here and/or in ports.

You messed something up. You're most likely using xorg-server libglx.so with nvidia-driver, which is why you got this "No NVIDIA compatible glx extension" error.

Ernest 05-30-07 11:16 AM

For sure I messed something up, as now, with a 6-STABLE freshly installed, I cannot reproduce the error.

Anyway, the case with the "Failed to initialize GLX extension" error was not the problematical one, this was only to show that with the base nv driver the segmentation fault didn't occur. I suspect a more generic, OS corruption just arising there as the system is usually under no load. But this is history now.

Thanks to all of you who have tried to help.