nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows XP And Vista (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Vista boot time (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92063)

grey_1 05-24-07 05:20 AM

Vista boot time

My vista 64 bit seems to take longer to boot every week. With only avast set in sysconfig (no difference without it) It still takes twice as long as XP. Still not bad, about a full minute to 90 seconds before its ready.

Just wondering what others are seeing, as I thought one of MS goals was to have vista boot faster than XP did.

Redeemed 05-24-07 05:42 AM

Re: Vista boot time

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1
My vista 64 bit seems to take longer to boot every week. With only avast set in sysconfig (no difference without it) It still takes twice as long as XP. Still not bad, about a full minute to 90 seconds before its ready.

Just wondering what others are seeing, as I thought one of MS goals was to have vista boot faster than XP did.

I leave my computer on 24/7.

Bur for the rare occassion where I must restart it, I'm usually at the desktop in under a minute. Boots right snappy for me.

grey_1 05-24-07 05:54 AM

Mine used to boot very fast, around 40-45 seconds. I just can't figure out what's slowing it down now. A windows update item? Who knows....

Redeemed 05-24-07 06:22 AM

Quote:

Mine used to boot very fast, around 40-45 seconds. I just can't figure out what's slowing it down now. A windows update item? Who knows....

Have you defragged recently? Is your hard drive(s) getting full? Do you have things like DreamScene running? Have you downloaded a bunch of DreamScenes, Wallpapers, or screensavers? Essentially, have you downloaded or installed anything to bloat Windows?

kam03 05-24-07 06:26 AM

Quote:

Here is a break down on how my 1 loads:

Windows Vista loading screen, icon bar goes round 5 times (5 secs).

Windows Vista logo appears (~2 secs)

Deasktop fully loads with all desktop, task bar icons etc (~35 secs).

~ 42 secs total load time.

Its the dumb kaspersky internet security 6.0 that slow down my load time. Everything loads but kaspersky takes 20 secs it self just to load. My load time would have been ~ 22 secs.

grey_1 05-24-07 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed
Have you defragged recently? Is your hard drive(s) getting full? Do you have things like DreamScene running? Have you downloaded a bunch of DreamScenes, Wallpapers, or screensavers? Essentially, have you downloaded or installed anything to bloat Windows?

Yes
no/no/no

kam03 - That's almost a perfect breakdown of what mine used to boot like, around 40 seconds give or take.

I'm just going to have to start un-installing things til I figure this out.

crap. :rolleyes: