nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   I think I have lost my mind . . . (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92076)

six_storm 05-24-07 12:22 PM

I think I have lost my mind . . .
 
Seriously, I think I have. I've been sick and stuck at home, therefore giving me time with my PC. I wanted to put a Vista/Ubuntu dual boot on here but I have a very simple and stupid problem. MY LIVECD AND ALT CD DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE!!! WTF?!?! I just had Ubuntu 7.04 on this PC a month ago using this same LiveCD but now that I have Vista on here, it doesn't even wanna boot off of the CD!!!! I've tried it in 2 PCs and 1 laptop, along with a fresh LiveCD and Alt CD. WTF? Has MS really taken over my PCs? lol

I know I'm on some meds but I'm sane enough to get this to work. I've tried changing CD drives in the BIOS for boot, burning the ISOs in XP and Nero (I have a good LiveCD anyways) and anything else you can think of. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

NOTE: I even tried VirtualPC 7 and VMWare Server and even they can't pick up the Live or Alt CD. WTF is going on here?

Camp0rz 05-24-07 12:38 PM

Re: I think I have lost my mind . . .
 
Have you tried making a new disc?

six_storm 05-24-07 12:56 PM

Re: I think I have lost my mind . . .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Camp0rz
Have you tried making a new disc?

Yeah, I've made new disc for both the Live and Alt CDs with XP and Nero. Vista doesn't wanna burn discs for me though . . .

six_storm 05-24-07 04:03 PM

Re: I think I have lost my mind . . .
 
ARGHHH!!!!!! So I found my old 6.10 disc and it actually worked and started to install. However, the disc is scratched and it froze half way during installation. So now, my Vista installation is screwed up and I can't install Ubuntu. Great. Any suggestions guys?

grey_1 05-24-07 04:46 PM

Re: I think I have lost my mind . . .
 
Boot from your Vista dvd and select the repair option, it may take a couple times with reboots depending on how badly it's borked.

Sounds like you are using crappy media possibly with a corrupt download, check the md5 against the iso.

Are you burning to dvd and trying to use cd-rom only?

What version of nero? & is much different from 6 for burning an image.

six_storm 05-24-07 05:59 PM

Re: I think I have lost my mind . . .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1
Boot from your Vista dvd and select the repair option, it may take a couple times with reboots depending on how badly it's borked.

Done that, it needs drivers to repair my HDD, yet it can install Vista on my HDD without them lol.

Quote:

Sounds like you are using crappy media possibly with a corrupt download, check the md5 against the iso.
See, the funny thing is that I downloaded the ISO when 7.04 came out and installed it perfectly fine. I know for a fact that the CD works, yet it doesn't boot up now.

Quote:

Are you burning to dvd and trying to use cd-rom only?
Nope, just CD-R's, the way I've always done it.

Quote:

What version of nero? & is much different from 6 for burning an image.
Dunno about Nero 6, but I'm dabbling with a trial version of Nero 7. I usually use the WinXP "Write These Files to CD" feature but even Nero won't work.

grey_1 05-24-07 06:26 PM

Re: I think I have lost my mind . . .
 
That's odd with nero. I have 7.9.6.0 installed and just do >nero express ess>Image,project,copy>disc image and it burned 7.04 flawlessly.

Are you positive it's your drive and not motherboard? Loose IDE cable from your optical?

I'd bet it's something simple.

On your vista, I've used the repair function several times and never had it ask for files/drivers.

But if it doesn't work on your other 2 pcs it has to be a drive or cd or burnt image problem.

If you can get that disc to boot in any machine try the "check install media" option...or whatever they call it these days.

six_storm 05-24-07 10:49 PM

Re: I think I have lost my mind . . .
 
I finally got my LiveCD to work and install . . . what a fluke. I honestly don't know what happened but it finally worked. Vista popped up in grub so it's not completely lost. Thanks grey_1 for the help.

grey_1 05-29-07 07:56 PM

Re: I think I have lost my mind . . .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by six_storm
I finally got my LiveCD to work and install . . . what a fluke. I honestly don't know what happened but it finally worked. Vista popped up in grub so it's not completely lost. Thanks grey_1 for the help.

yw, glad you got it working.

six_storm 05-31-07 09:59 AM

Re: I think I have lost my mind . . .
 
Thanks, I guess it was my CD but it's just weird how the same CD I used to install 7.04 a month ago suddenly doesn't wanna boot. Thanks grey.

grey_1 05-31-07 11:37 AM

Re: I think I have lost my mind . . .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by six_storm
Thanks, I guess it was my CD but it's just weird how the same CD I used to install 7.04 a month ago suddenly doesn't wanna boot. Thanks grey.

Lol, I'm having trouble with mine now. :rolleyes:

matter of fact after 2 days of being informed that the "kernel is alive" with no video output afterwards is getting very old.

I'm downloading PClinuxOS v. 7, I need to see what all the fuss is about.

six_storm 06-01-07 10:45 AM

Re: I think I have lost my mind . . .
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1
Lol, I'm having trouble with mine now. :rolleyes:

matter of fact after 2 days of being informed that the "kernel is alive" with no video output afterwards is getting very old.

I'm downloading PClinuxOS v. 7, I need to see what all the fuss is about.

You know, I looked around after I started playing around with Ubuntu just to see what the difference was and really, there's not one. There's the same Window Managers, just different packages pre-installed. I'm sure there are a lot of other things different, but I'm not a Linux guru. So . . . yeah.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.