nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Need help.....Already cornfused (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92294)

HaVoK19 05-28-07 11:00 PM

Need help.....Already cornfused

So ive decided to try linux(ubuntu), but so far my experience hasnt been all that great. So far, ive got the ISO file...put it on a disk....rebooted....i get the little ubuntu screen with like start or instal ubuntu, start in low graphic interface(i think thats what it said) and so on. Well...no matter what i do....the screen just goes black. I click on start/install, and there is an assortmant of letter/number/periods, screen changes....says kernel is active....loading please wait....and then black screen. Thats basically it, i cant get it to do anything more than that. Im kinda stuck, should i re burn the ISO to the disk, should i just keep tryin praying i can get to a dektop??

Anything anybody could suggest would be great. Just try and keep it simple...command prompt nub here...lol

HaV

*edit* In case it makes any difference, i downloaded 7.04 desktop edition

doctor_octagon 05-29-07 10:06 AM

Re: Need help.....Already cornfused

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaVoK19
So ive decided to try linux(ubuntu), but so far my experience hasnt been all that great. So far, ive got the ISO file...put it on a disk....rebooted....i get the little ubuntu screen with like start or instal ubuntu, start in low graphic interface(i think thats what it said) and so on. Well...no matter what i do....the screen just goes black. I click on start/install, and there is an assortmant of letter/number/periods, screen changes....says kernel is active....loading please wait....and then black screen. Thats basically it, i cant get it to do anything more than that. Im kinda stuck, should i re burn the ISO to the disk, should i just keep tryin praying i can get to a dektop??

Anything anybody could suggest would be great. Just try and keep it simple...command prompt nub here...lol

HaV

*edit* In case it makes any difference, i downloaded 7.04 desktop edition

Did you test your installation media? from the linux prompt (after you've booted from the CD) type "linux mediacheck" and test your CD. If it doesn't pass burn it again.

-do

HaVoK19 05-29-07 12:11 PM

I ran the test, and the cd is fine. soooooo, should i try the older version? Or is there something else i could do that might tell me whats wrong?

HaV

evilghost 05-29-07 12:18 PM

Try booting with noapic or acpi=off

HaVoK19 05-29-07 12:51 PM

acpi=off didnt work.

I got some sort of kernal panic.

HaV

*edit*

Ok, when i do the acpi=off, It starts goin through a whole bunch of lines of text and such. it gets to a certain point and freezes. the last line with any text on it is this:

Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block(8,1)

evilghost 05-29-07 01:04 PM

Try noapic

HaVoK19 05-29-07 01:15 PM

noacpi gets the same result as acpi=off, i get that kernal panic line and it freezes right there.

think its a corrupt file? I could always dl it agian, see if that makes any difference at all.

evilghost 05-29-07 01:16 PM

Got any BIOS updates available for your motherboard?

HaVoK19 05-29-07 01:29 PM

lol.....

ok, so i checked and there are updates for my bios. Only problem is, they are for an nforce 4 motherboard...and it wants me to put the exe file on a floppy disc and do it that way. I dont have a floppy drive anymore. Any suggestions on how to get around this.

grey_1 05-29-07 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaVoK19
lol.....

ok, so i checked and there are updates for my bios. Only problem is, they are for an nforce 4 motherboard...and it wants me to put the exe file on a floppy disc and do it that way. I dont have a floppy drive anymore. Any suggestions on how to get around this.

If you currently have windows installed, many mobo manufacturers have win based tools so you can update your bios within windows.

Just follow the instructions carefully, and if in doubt, don't.:p I've used DFI's for my expert, same with my older nf3 abit and all went well.

HaVoK19 05-29-07 02:57 PM

I found an old external floppy drive.....and have updated the bios. Didnt change anything. Still wont work, have done both noacpi and acpi=off with the new bios.....and i still get the kernel panic deal.

HaV

evilghost 05-29-07 03:27 PM

Try booting with:

noapic acpi=off nolapic