nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Software (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Drive Image 2002 or Ghost? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=926)

saturnotaku 08-19-02 09:56 PM

Drive Image 2002 or Ghost?

I'm interested in getting some software with which I can take a snapshot of a clean, yet updated, Windows installation so that in case of a mishap, I can revert to the image without having to re-download and install fixes from Windows Update.

I'm looking at either PowerQuest Drive Image 2002 or Norton Ghost to fulfill this need. I'd like to use this software to image both my desktop and notebook. My desktop won't be much of a problem, but since my notebook doesn't have a CD burner, I was wondering if it would be possible to have the software read my notebook's files over my home network and burn the image using my desktop's CD-RW drive.

This is the most important functionality I'd like to have from the software, other than that I'd like something that's reliable and easy to use so I can make image files quickly and painlessly. If there's any other software other than the two I've mentioned here, please let me know so I can look at it, too.

Matthyahuw 08-19-02 10:58 PM

I use Norton, but JonathanM told me about Drive Image.
Says it can work from Windows, I don't know about a network read, but Norton is historically more powerful, you might want to check the spec sheets of both first tho...

saturnotaku 08-20-02 08:48 AM

Yeah, I'll have to look at both boxes and do some surfing before making a final decision. Maximum PC recommends Drive Image as more user friendly than Ghost, but I need to see if the former supports imaging over a network, which I'm pretty sure the latter can do.

|JuiceZ| 08-20-02 10:13 AM

I've used Drive Image for several yrs now, and love it. I also justchecked PowerQuest's website and the latest vers of Drive Image does support imaging over the network although I don't know if its to the exist that your needing though.

monkeydust 08-20-02 10:34 AM

I tried both the latest versions of Ghost and Drive Image 2002 and found Drive Image to be much more user friendly. I don't back up to a network drive, so I can't vouch for that feature. But, with Drive Image, you just tell it your source and destination and your computer will automatically reboot into a ramdisk version of Drive Image and make the backup. Very painless and user friendly interface. I've restored from images twice in the last month and they worked flawlessly.

saturnotaku 08-20-02 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JuiceZ
I don't know if its to the exist that your needing though.
I have on my desktop a link to the IP address I assigned to my laptop. I can connect to my laptop through my hub and transfer files, etc. I want to know if I can use Drive Image or Ghost to run the program from my desktop but take an image of my notebook. From what I'm reading, I think I can do this with either program but I need to do a bit more reading.

|JuiceZ| 08-21-02 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by saturnotaku

I have on my desktop a link to the IP address I assigned to my laptop. I can connect to my laptop through my hub and transfer files, etc. I want to know if I can use Drive Image or Ghost to run the program from my desktop but take an image of my notebook. From what I'm reading, I think I can do this with either program but I need to do a bit more reading.

yes you should be able to do that.