nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Blockbuster to withdrawn HD-DVD and expand Blu-ray (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93414)

AthlonXP1800 06-17-07 10:39 PM

Blockbuster to withdrawn HD-DVD and expand Blu-ray

Today Blockbuster expect to make an announcement that Blu-ray is the HD format to replace DVD, they will expanding Blu-ray titles from next month and available to rent in Blockbuster's 1,450 stores.

More than 70% of Blockbuster customers rented Blu-ray titles over HD-DVD since late last year.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/entertainment/ci_6164939

This is the first massive defeat for HD-DVD. Take a look at DVDEmpire Hi-Def sales figures, Blu-ray now command 73% of Hi-Def sales. I suppose other video rental chains and retailers could quick follow suit with Blockbuster to announce withdrawn HD-DVD soon in the same footstep when video rentals and retailers announced Betamax withdrawn in around 1986 when VHS command 70% of video rentals.

Look like Hi-Def format war will be over this year sooner than people thought.

nrdstrm 06-17-07 10:45 PM

Re: Blockbuster to withdrawn HD-DVD and expand Blu-ray

I hope so...Not because I prefer one to the other, but I bought a PS3... :) So if BR wins, that would be a + for me purchasing the PS3. On the other hand, HD DVD players are cheap enough now that I could just go buy one.

kev13dd 06-18-07 01:15 AM

I do see this as a major major blow. So many people are going to online rentals though, and since Blockbuster will keep HD-DVD online then maybe it can still survive? Hopefully one format wins just so we'll have one format. If Blueray is ganna be it... eh

K

superklye 06-18-07 06:53 AM

Blockbuster is still around?

ENU291 06-18-07 07:50 AM

So how did Blockbuster make this decision? Did they just study the last 6 months of HD movie rentals? It makes absolutely no sense to pull the plug on HD-DVD movies by judging just 6 months of rental activity. Who the hell is running this operation?

Bman212121 06-18-07 09:00 AM

I helped contribute to that. :) I probably already rented 5 or 10 BR from them. Awesome news that they are going to bring them to the store.

FYI: The article doesn't say they are pulling out on HD-DVD, but they are just expanding their BR collection first since it is the most rented. So you can still get HD-DVD from them.

superklye 06-18-07 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bman212121
I helped contribute to that. :) I probably already rented 5 or 10 BR from them. Awesome news that they are going to bring them to the store.

FYI: The article doesn't say they are pulling out on HD-DVD, but they are just expanding their BR collection first since it is the most rented. So you can still get HD-DVD from them.

Everything Athlon says is slanted FUD.

superklye 06-18-07 10:55 AM

Oh, and rather than this being a huge blow to HD DVD, I think it's probably going to be an even bigger blow to Blockbuster.

I wouldn't spend $800 on a player so I could rent the format Blockbuster carries. I'd spend $20/mo and go to Netflicks if it was that important.

nopp0x00 06-18-07 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superklye
Oh, and rather than this being a huge blow to HD DVD, I think it's probably going to be an even bigger blow to Blockbuster.

I wouldn't spend $800 on a player so I could rent the format Blockbuster carries. I'd spend $20/mo and go to Netflicks if it was that important.

$800? Try 499, or cheaper on Ebay for a PS3, or 699 if you need Wi-Fi and the built-in memory card reader and the larger hard drive.

tornadog 06-18-07 11:32 AM

I am glad to hear this, the guy at my local blockbuster had told me this way back in January and I dismissed it as just FUD, but now I must say he was smart!!!

Its kinda ominous that I should see this post today. The whole morning I was browsing the deal sites to find a good deal on a 360 hd dvd so I can sell off my ps3, and get a second LCD TV for my bedroom

Ancient 06-18-07 11:41 AM

Blockbuster is willing to forego 30% of its hi-def business to cater to a single hi-def format? Something doesn't smell right about this. I suspect this might have less to do with the customer and more to do with BB being offered special pricing on their BD purchases as an incentive to drop HD-DVD.

I don't have any proof of that but I can't see BB completely dropping 30% of the hi-def revenue. Seems like a stupid business decision.

superklye 06-18-07 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nopp0x00
$800? Try 499, or cheaper on Ebay for a PS3, or 699 if you need Wi-Fi and the built-in memory card reader and the larger hard drive.

Um...I'm talking about high-end AV equipment, not a children's toy that happens to play BD movies.