nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   projection vs Plasma (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93625)

tornadog 06-21-07 03:19 PM

projection vs Plasma

I am thinking of upgrading my 32" viewsonic lcd to either of these 2 technologies. I have a Vizio 42" Plasma or a Sony Grand Wega 46" Projection in my mind. I looked for opinions on AVSforum. But it confused me a lot more. Problem with experts is what they have is always the best. If someone here has an opinion on which one to go for. My basic need is Cox HD Cable, PS3 bluray movies, gaming on ps3 and 360. Both these TVs dont have 1080i/p. Wonder if that will be a problem since all the hd channels on cox are in 1080i. Another option is to pay a few hundred more and get a Hitachi 42" plasma which has 1080i.
My budget is $1000, so I am not considering any of the higher end brands.

superklye 06-21-07 03:23 PM

Re: projection vs Plasma

I'm pretty sure all newer 720p TVs take a 1080i signal and resample it to 720p.

I've never been a fan of plasma as it is grossly overpriced for what I consider a freakishly contrasted picture. As much as I don't care for Sony, I can't deny they make fantastic TVs. Plus, I know nothing about Vizio other than it reminds me of Microsoft Visio and that program is such a bitch. :p

lduguay 06-21-07 03:26 PM

Gaming on plasma is possible but you might get some burn-in. Orbiters (or screen savers) must be enabled. So if you are careful enough, you could go for a 42in Panasonic Plasma.

lduguay 06-21-07 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superklye
I'm pretty sure all newer 720p TVs take a 1080i signal and resample it to 720p.

I've never been a fan of plasma as it is grossly overpriced for what I consider a freakishly contrasted picture. As much as I don't care for Sony, I can't deny they make fantastic TVs. Plus, I know nothing about Vizio other than it reminds me of Microsoft Visio and that program is such a bitch. :p

Hmm, actually Plasma screens are cheaper than LCD now (at least up here). Have you checked the prices lately?

superklye 06-21-07 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lduguay
Hmm, actually Plasma screens are cheaper than LCD now (at least up here). Have you checked the prices lately?

No, I haven't. I haven't paid much attention since I got my 32" Westy. I won't be looking to get a BIG TV for a few months yet...that's good to hear though.

I understand they've made lots of progress in the image quality department, too. I'll have to look into it more. Thanks. :)

RussianHAXOR 06-21-07 03:43 PM

Plasmas are junk imho but they are cheap right now so its kinda worth the price if you get a good deal.

lduguay 06-21-07 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RussianHAXOR
Plasmas are junk imho but they are cheap right now so its kinda worth the price if you get a good deal.

You are a funny guy :headexplode:
So what is YOUR problem with plasmas?

1337_Like_ThaT 06-21-07 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RussianHAXOR

ROFL......yeah....

Everyone who comes into my house and views my 1080p Samsung Plasma with Resistance running on PS3 are always in awe. BTW no burn in issues here, many plasmas now these days are built in with burn-in protection

Bman212121 06-21-07 07:02 PM

I've seen one of those Vizio tvs before and it didn't impress me very much. It seems like it is on the cheap end of the spectrum. I dunno if you want to get a projection tv either, but that Sony is probably better than the Vizio.

evilchris 06-21-07 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1337_Like_ThaT
ROFL......yeah....

Everyone who comes into my house and views my 1080p Samsung Plasma with Resistance running on PS3 are always in awe. BTW no burn in issues here, many plasmas now these days are built in with burn-in protection

Resistance is a 720p game. At least use 1080p material to demo a 1080p TV.

1337_Like_ThaT 06-21-07 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilchris
Resistance is a 720p game. At least use 1080p material to demo a 1080p TV.

True. I'll slap in a BluRay disc for that ;)

One downside I have to point out of my plasma is the amount of heat it gives off. I'm not sure if LCDs are the same but man does it raise the temperature in the room

evilchris 06-21-07 07:28 PM

Most impressive 1080p demo AQ/PQ wise would be the Matrix Reloaded. You'll have to wait a few years for BDJ to be "finalized" so it can be released on BD though.