nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Top Gun comes to HD DVD on 10/2/07! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93933)

Ruined 06-27-07 10:45 AM

Top Gun comes to HD DVD on 10/2/07!

Wooohooo! A personal fave of mine!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1&page=1&pp=30

|MaguS| 06-27-07 11:01 AM

Re: Top Gun comes to HD DVD on 10/2/07!

ROFL HAHAHAHAHA

(gay)

mcolbourn 06-27-07 11:39 AM

I really don't get it, why? release a 20 year old fild on HD. The picture won't be any better that getting the normal DVD and upscaling it. OK the Audio may be a bit better but not much.

Mr. Hunt 06-27-07 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcolbourn
I really don't get it, why? release a 20 year old fild on HD. The picture won't be any better that getting the normal DVD and upscaling it. OK the Audio may be a bit better but not much.

Wrong.... 1080p still isn't even giving us what 35mm films have to offer.

GamerGuyX 06-27-07 12:51 PM

Quote:

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Film itself has a greater resolution than even 1080p. So in other words: all movies benefit greatly going to HD.

Capt. Picard 06-27-07 01:07 PM

... On a highway to the Daingerzone!!! ...

Oh Joy!

evilchris 06-27-07 01:16 PM

Quote:

yeah because as we all know FILM is much lower resolution than today's 1080p camera's, lol!

GlowStick 06-27-07 01:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHklGtW3rwU

(nana2) :nana:

|MaguS| 06-27-07 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowStick

HAHAHAHA

betterdan 06-27-07 04:55 PM

Quote:

I hear this garbage all the time and don't know where people are getting this idea from. HD is NOT higher resolution than film. In order it is like this.... VHS then DVD then HD then film (I know there are other steps but I am keeping it simple). Just because a movie is old doesn't mean it will look like crap on an HD transfer.
People give DVD too much credit. Yea it looks good but it is still way below HD quality and extremely below film quality. Please understand this and put the word out to others so this misinformation can be squashed.
Also upscaling a dvd is not even close to being as good as a good HD transfer.

shabby 06-27-07 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betterdan
Just because a movie is old doesn't mean it will look like crap on an HD transfer.

Have you watched the terminator or terminator 2 on bluray? Its 1080p yet looks like ass compared to any recent 1080p movies.

betterdan 06-27-07 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shabby
Have you watched the terminator or terminator 2 on bluray? Its 1080p yet looks like ass compared to any recent 1080p movies.

No, I haven't but I would bet that's the fault of the transfer not the film itself unless they used a craptacular master to start with in which case any dvd, HD or otherwise could look like crap . Film is higher resolution than HD please see my post above and try not to spread misinformation.

I just read a review on High Def Digest on the Terminator Blu ray DVD and they said it looked quite good considering the film source.

Like I said if the source isn't the greatest to begin with then of course you can't get a diamond from a poop pile. HD simply brings you closer to how the movie looked originally on film. If it looked grainy on film or was poorly shot then you will just get closer to that original vision. I heard a lot of people gripe saying that the new dvd of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre that was shot on lowly 16mm film couldn't look any better than the old Pioneer non anamorphic disc. Yet here we are with the new remastered anamorphic dvd from an HD transfer and it looks incredible. I hear the HD transfer itself from the film is outstanding.

I stand by my statement, just because a movie is old doesn't mean it will look like crap on an HD transfer. Yes there will be some that do but that is also true of newer movies too wether on plain old DVD or HD DVD/Blu ray.

Think about back when dvd first came out, some of the dvds that came out were of movies that had been out just recently and now looking back, those dvds are not the hottest looking ones out. Was that the fault of the dvd or the film and did it mean film was just crappy looking as well as dvd? No it was the transfers themselves. As they learned how to do better transfers and utilize dvds better they started looking a lot better.
Understand now?