nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Details of new versioning (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94017)

Anssi 06-28-07 04:55 PM

Details of new versioning
 
Are the two legacy drivers going to switched over to the new versioning scheme, or will they be kept as 1.0-xxxx? If they will be switched, do you already know the numbering you are going to use?

Also, can the possible dropping of hardware support for older models be figured out by inspecting the version number? For example, do you raise the "100" to "101" (and maintain "100" series as a legacy driver) if and only if support is dropped?

As much info as you can give would be useful for me, as I'm maintaining a set of NVIDIA driver rpm packages for Mandriva Linux and I'm not sure with what names I should call the different versions. For example, do I make the latest one "nvidia100" (if 101 will mean support dropped for some cards), or "nvidia10x" (if 110 will mean support dropped for some cards), or something else.

AaronP 06-28-07 05:11 PM

Re: Details of new versioning
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anssi
Are the two legacy drivers going to switched over to the new versioning scheme, or will they be kept as 1.0-xxxx? If they will be switched, do you already know the numbering you are going to use?

The plan is to switch new releases of them over to the new scheme. I don't think the version numbers for them have been decided yet.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anssi
Also, can the possible dropping of hardware support for older models be figured out by inspecting the version number? For example, do you raise the "100" to "101" (and maintain "100" series as a legacy driver) if and only if support is dropped?

No.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anssi
As much info as you can give would be useful for me, as I'm maintaining a set of NVIDIA driver rpm packages for Mandriva Linux and I'm not sure with what names I should call the different versions. For example, do I make the latest one "nvidia100" (if 101 will mean support dropped for some cards), or "nvidia10x" (if 110 will mean support dropped for some cards), or something else.

I would recommend following the designation of legacy branches. I.e. have "nvidia" be the current release and create "nvidia-legacy-foo" packages as necessary.

zander 06-28-07 07:55 PM

Re: Details of new versioning
 
Please also see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87033.

Anssi 06-29-07 06:49 PM

Re: Details of new versioning
 
Okay, thanks :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.