nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Problem with XFX 6800 LE (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94110)

Nizzle 06-30-07 02:59 PM

Problem with XFX 6800 LE

Card seems to work fine.. until I install drivers..

either on Linux or Solaris or Windows when I install drivers the whole system will crash

what the hell is that?
and is there a way to fix it without buying me a new card?
would I be able to get a new card with the warrenty thingy?

jimmor 07-05-07 07:30 PM

Re: Problem with XFX 6800 LE

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nizzle
Card seems to work fine.. until I install drivers..

either on Linux or Solaris or Windows when I install drivers the whole system will crash

what the hell is that?
and is there a way to fix it without buying me a new card?
would I be able to get a new card with the warrenty thingy?

The fact that your 6800le boots fine untill installing drivers means it is obviously a driver issue?

So, untill you resolve your problem it is advisable to stick to known proven Windows drivers ---> However, if it is "vista" you are having trouble with, my recommendation would be to go back to winXP !!

Did you buy the 6800le new, or second hand ? Maybe previous owner flashed it with "faulty" bios ?

Has the 6800le ever worked ok in your computer ?

What VGA card was fitted before 6800le ? Did you remember to completely remove all previous driver files before trying to install the 6800LE ?

:)

Nizzle 07-06-07 05:03 AM

I bought it new..
it has worked fine until just a couple of weeks ago

the Windows thing was XP with the drivers disk that I got with the card.. which did always worked just fine before.. even on Vista once..

on Linux it also worked fine until a while ago then I tried pretty much all drivers and still nothing..

on Solaris I only tried one driver and then quit solaris cos my vid card wasn't the only thing that didn't work and I was lazy

for the windows I didn't have to remove all drivers because it was a fresh install.. am full time ubuntu here but since I had them issues I decided to try dual boot for gaming then.. that's pretty much when I figured it should be the card cos the drivers have always worked..

jimmor 07-07-07 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nizzle
I bought it new..
it has worked fine until just a couple of weeks ago

the Windows thing was XP with the drivers disk that I got with the card.. which did always worked just fine before.. even on Vista once..

on Linux it also worked fine until a while ago then I tried pretty much all drivers and still nothing..

on Solaris I only tried one driver and then quit solaris cos my vid card wasn't the only thing that didn't work and I was lazy

for the windows I didn't have to remove all drivers because it was a fresh install.. am full time ubuntu here but since I had them issues I decided to try dual boot for gaming then.. that's pretty much when I figured it should be the card cos the drivers have always worked..

Ok, so what was the last change you made a couple of weeks ago, ie, just before everything stopped working properly ?

And easiest way to prove if vga card or computer has fault, is to try the 6800le in another computer, or another card in your setup ?

Maybe your cpu/mobo overclock is a bit unstable, or something wrong with your windows installation ?

Can you boot into windows SAFE mode, and if so then maybe problem is with mobo device, or windows startup, drivers ---> since some of that is what gets bypassed when booting into safe mode ?

And if you can boot into safe mode, then try reinstalling vga drivers in safe mode !

With all your playing around with different O/S multiboots, including different vga drivers for each O/S, your problem could lie almost anywhere ---> even possibly as simple as your booting menu trying to boot wrong partition ?

:)