nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Can't start two screens on GeForce4 MX 440 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94144)

lhboi 07-01-07 10:11 AM

Can't start two screens on GeForce4 MX 440

1 Attachment(s)
Dear nVidia,
I am using a GeForce4 MX 440 AGP8x having 2 outputs: CRT and SVIDEO.
I can start X on either CRT or TV device but can't start 2 screens at the same time. I also failed to start TwinView on this card.
Attached is 2 bug report files:
- nvidia-bug-report.log.tvconnected was generated when both CRT and TV were connected (X failed to start),
- nvidia-bug-report.log was generated when only CRT was connected (and X started on that screen).
Did I make some thing wrong in configuration?
Thank you in advanced.

netllama 07-01-07 12:45 PM

Re: Can't start two screens on GeForce4 MX 440

In your bug report I see:

(WW) NVIDIA(1): Option "UseDisplayDevice" requested "TV", but no unused TVs
(WW) NVIDIA(1): are available.
(II) NVIDIA(1): Option "UseDisplayDevice" "TV" converted to "".
(WW) NVIDIA(1): Unable to find any of the requested display device "" in the
(WW) NVIDIA(1): list of available display devices "".
(EE) NVIDIA(1): Unable to find available Display Devices for screen 1.

Are you able to drive both displays in Twinview, or if you make the TV the first X screen?

Also, 1.0-9631 is no longer supported. Please upgade to 1.0-9639.

thanks,
Lonni

lhboi 07-02-07 03:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dear netllama,
Thank your for your quick reply!

I upgraded to 1.0-9639, and tried again. Following is the results, I attached two reports:
I can start single head X with only CRT connected, or with only TV connected. No report file attached for these scenarios. Currently, I use only CRT screen.
Please read the file nvidia-bug-report.log.2head.tvconnected. That file was generated after I failed to start X in 2 head (not TwinView) configuration with both CRT and TV connected.
And the report nvidia-bug-report.log.twinview file was generated after I failed to start X in TwinView mode with CRT and TV connected.
Thanks agian,
Boi

netllama 07-02-07 08:48 AM

I'm not sure what you think you've attached, however its the same exact X configuration as the last bug report. All that changed is the driver version.

Also, please stop naming your attachments with a zip extension if they're really a gz.

lhboi 07-02-07 09:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm sorry. I made mistake when compress files.
Now, I copy the last post and attach two bug reports. I didn't change X config file from the first post because I didn't know how to fix it.

I can start single head X with only CRT connected, or with only TV connected. No report file attached for these scenarios. Currently, I use only CRT screen.
Please read the file nvidia-bug-report.log.2head.tvconnected. That file was generated after I failed to start X in 2 head (not TwinView) configuration with both CRT and TV connected.
And the report nvidia-bug-report.log.twinview file was generated after I failed to start X in TwinView mode with CRT and TV connected.
Thanks agian,
Boi

netllama 07-02-07 09:18 AM

The failure is here:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): The requested configuration of display devices is not
(EE) NVIDIA(0): supported in the hardware.

However, you've still not made the changes that I requested. Its clear at this point that your graphics card cannot run with the TV as the 2nd display device.

You can try running with the TV as the primary display device (as I suggested earlier), however its also possible that your card is not capable of running in that configuration either due to a VBIOS limitation.

lhboi 07-02-07 09:38 AM

Thanks for your reply!
I already saw those two error lines but I didn't know the reason.
I tried and failed to use TV as the 1st device with the same error lines.
So, the conclusion is my card is not capable of running 2 monitors. It even can't run 2 monitors on Windows XP.
Thanks anyway,
Boi