nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Suggest some benchmarks? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94445)

Elegy 07-06-07 06:29 PM

Suggest some benchmarks?

I'll be getting a new power-laptop soon and I want to provide a very detailed review complete with comparisons to my current desktop, but I need some benchmarking tools to download. At the moment, I'll be using the following:

Cinebench 9.5
wPrime
Vue 6
3DMark06
3DMark03
PCMark05
Aquamark 3
SiSoft Sandra XI
SuperPI
HD Tune
X2: The Threat
Unreal Tournament 2003

Are there any other free and downloadable programmes I could use, preferably with a built-in benchmarking tool for reliability? I'm particularly in need of some more gaming benchmarks to test the GPU under real world situations, but any benchmarks (except FEAR since it doesn't run on my computer) are fine.

XDanger 07-07-07 07:31 AM

Re: Suggest some benchmarks?

hl2:Lost coast/cs:s I think Lost Planet demo, also any game and fraps..?
What kind of crappy laptop wont play fear? fear uses dx8 doesnt it? A sony psp could run fear with most of the stuff turned off.

Elegy 07-07-07 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XDanger
hl2:Lost coast/cs:s
What kind of crappy laptop wont play fear? fear uses dx8 doesnt it? A sony psp could run fear with most of the stuff turned off.

I assume Half Life 2 and Counter Strike have downloadable demos with benchmarks built in? You misunderstand, my laptop probably would run FEAR with maximum settings at a playable framerate but the demo simply doesn't load up - there's just a black screen and it freezes.

XDanger 07-07-07 03:35 PM

FEAR is very cheap now its on re-release ,Why dont you own it ?

Im also assuminig the free version of fraps runs useable benchmarks for all games, Iv never used the thing

SH64 07-07-07 04:10 PM

Lost Planet demo has a good benchmarking utility for both your CPU & GPU.

breathemetal 07-07-07 04:59 PM

the LP demo was a good benchmarker, but 3dmark06 will always be my preferred program. ;)

Elegy 07-07-07 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SH64
Lost Planet demo has a good benchmarking utility for both your CPU & GPU.

Thank you, I'm downloading that now. This 363Mb download will take a while.

Quote:

FEAR is very cheap now its on re-release ,Why dont you own it ?
If both the single and multiplayer demos show black screens on my computer, I'm not going to risk having to pay in order to see that same black screen. I'm sure there are plenty of other benchmarks out there anyway.

Quote:

Im also assuminig the free version of fraps runs useable benchmarks for all games, Iv never used the thing
You can use FRAPS to benchmark in games but it's not very reliable since it's completely human controlled and hence can't be exactly repeated. I can't reliably compare my laptop to my desktop this way.

Quote:

the LP demo was a good benchmarker, but 3dmark06 will always be my preferred program.
3DMark is meant to be an indicator of how good graphic cards are at playing games but it doesn't seem to do that, at least not anymore. The mobile 8600gt scores ~18% higher in 3DMark06 than my desktop 7600gt for example (with all other components being very comparable) and yet they perform equally in actual gaming situations. With a massive variability of 18%, or maybe even greater, 3DMark ceases to be reliable or accurate in my view.