nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   X slowing down, and locking up with NVRM Messages on Quadro NVS140M (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94480)

d13f00l 07-07-07 04:03 PM

X slowing down, and locking up with NVRM Messages on Quadro NVS140M

1 Attachment(s)
Xorg gradually slows down overtime, I'm not 100% sure what causes it. Eventually, CPU usage gets very high for the xorg process when doing any GUI operation.
Running GL apps fullscreen sometimes instantly locks X up, ctrl-alt f1 to console and ctrl alt f7 back to xorg unfreezes it. nvrm xid messages appear in dmesg

It only locks sometimes when fullscreening GL apps. It's always an instant lock that is recoverable but really annoying because it happens very often, easily reproduced with mplayer -vo gl.

Restarting X restores the draw speed for GUI operations.

d13f00l 08-02-07 12:56 PM

Re: X slowing down, and locking up with NVRM Messages on Quadro NVS140M

Did anyone from Nvidia see this?

netllama 08-02-07 01:01 PM

Does this problem persist if you're not using the Composite extension and the Coolbits & TripleBuffer options?

Have you verified that you're using the latest BIOS?

d13f00l 08-02-07 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama
Does this problem persist if you're not using the Composite extension and the Coolbits & TripleBuffer options?

Have you verified that you're using the latest BIOS?

I did upgrade to the latest bios, it didn't help.

I just disabled Coolbits, set TripleBuffer to false, disabled AllowGLXWithComposite, added a Section "Extensions" and set Composite to "False"

I have not been able to reproduce this problem since disabling these xorg options.

netllama 08-03-07 10:34 AM

OK, then the next step is to test with just one option at a time and see which is actually triggering the problem.

d13f00l 08-03-07 12:54 PM

I reproduced it with these options set as you described.

It seems TwinView causes it. X boots up, I plug in my projector to the VGA port, go to Nvidia settings, detect displays, click the second display, set it to use twinview, set it to clone, 1280x720, apply, go to the 1st display, set it to 1280x720. Apply.

It freezes 100% of the time. I can ctrl-alt f1 to console, and see wait messages in dmesg, and the pc unlocks, and i can kill the program, but if I ctrl-alt-f7 back into xorg, it'll be locked again and I can watch the screen redraw one line at a time.

To make sure we're on the same page, the , "slowing down", issue I had described earlier was caused by suspend to ram and I was told it'd be fixed in a later driver issue, the other issue with the NVRM messages is what I'm referring to now.

netllama 08-03-07 12:59 PM

Earlier you stated that disabling the specific options that I listed eliminated the problem. Now you're stating that Twinview causes the problem. You didn't state that you had disabled Twinview earlier. Please clarify what was tested earlier when you stated that the problem was eliminated.

d13f00l 08-03-07 12:59 PM

Quote:

Earlier you stated that disabling the specific options that I listed eliminated the problem. Now you're stating that Twinview causes the problem. You didn't state that you had disabled Twinview earlier. Please clarify what was tested earlier when you stated that the problem was eliminated.

Twinview was not currently enabled when I said the problem was resolved earlier. Whether or not 3d fullscreen applications lock instantly was tested.

netllama 08-03-07 01:06 PM

So you're stating that starting X with just the Twinview option (and no others) results in an immediate hang?

d13f00l 08-03-07 01:07 PM

I just managed to reproduce it without even using twinview, but just by setting my resolution to 1280x720 in nvidia settings prior to starting the app. I set it, tried mplayer -vo gl, and it locked w/ wait messages. I rebooted, and repeated, and it locked....

I'm trying in 1440x900, I said yesterday I was unable to reproduce it. This is the res I was running, with twinview disabled.

d13f00l 08-03-07 01:10 PM

Ok, I just tried it in 1440x900, can't reproduce. I tried opening and closing the app multiple times.
Switched to 1280x720 without rebooting, tried the app again, and it locks w/ NVRM XID messages. I'm playing a 720p h264 file if that matters, but other 3d programs will do it too.

This is with twinview off, so it's just the resolution that causes this problem...regardless of those X settings?

d13f00l 08-03-07 01:15 PM

Quote:

So you're stating that starting X with just the Twinview option (and no others) results in an immediate hang?

It turns out if I change my resolution to 1280x720 in Nvidia Settings, this happens when using fullscreen GL programs pretty much every time. I was enabling twinview from nvidia settings, but I always ran it in 1280x720, so I've isolated it down to just running the lcd in 1280x720 causes it, even if twinview is off, regardless of those other X options.

I've been unable to reproduce it in 1440x900. I'm going to reboot and try to reproduce it one more time in 1440x900, it seems odd that JUST resolution can cause this but it seems that this is the case....