nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Weird NVIDIA crash after upgrade from Ubuntu edgy to feisty (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94592)

H-Radical 07-09-07 07:32 PM

Weird NVIDIA crash after upgrade from Ubuntu edgy to feisty

Hi all,
I just upgraded from Ubuntu Linux 6.10 to 7.04 . I'm running it on a Sony VAIO Laptop with an NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go 64MB. To get my card working with the nvidia driver under 6.10, I simply followed the instructions at http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_Nvidia_Edgy. But 7.04 Feisty Fawn hasn't been so easy and the updated version of this guide didn't work. To make a long story short (you can see the long story at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=492441), this is what I did to get the nvidia card working under feisty:
Code:

$ sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia*
$ sudo envy -t
$ sudo sh /root/NVIDIA-Linux-1.0-9639-driver-with-long-name.run
$ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

And it worked! The nvidia logo came up and everything was just fine. The problem is after a while, it breaks again. The first time, after getting it to work, I enabled compiz thru desktop effects. After I shut the computer down and restarted, the nvidia logo still showed up but there were numerous problems: there are no desktop effects, eventhough desktop effects are enabled; the laptop power icon, the ethernet connection icon, and the update manager icons on the gnome panel don't show up for at least 20-30 secs; and the splash screen doesn't go away until I right click on it. When I go to Applications->System Tools->Nvidia X Server Settings, I get nothing. When I type
Code:

$ sudo nvidia-settings
segmentation fault (core dump)

when I go to compiz-gnome-manager, half of the options aren't showing up.
I thought that this was something that compiz was doing that was messing things up, so I cleaned everything and reinstalled the nvidia driver... again everything was fine, but I didn't enable desktop effects or compiz. I rebooted once, everything was ok; rebooted the second time and the X server crashed. Now, once again, I'm on the "nv" drivers. I don't know what I'm doing wrong in the setup of the nvidia driver or what is happening to it after a few reboots. I've spent over a week trying to get the card to work under feisty to no avail.
If anyone can please help me with this, that'd be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

netllama 07-09-07 07:50 PM

Re: Weird NVIDIA crash after upgrade from Ubuntu edgy to feisty

Please see all of the forum sticky posts.

H-Radical 07-11-07 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, sorry about that. Usually most forums say the same rules in the stickies so I didn't bother. my apologies. I've attached the nvidia-bug-report.log . Also please note that this log was made on a restart after I had once more got the system working. So when the log was made all of the problems I've described above were present.
I believe the inclusion of that file was all you meant by 'read the stickies'?

Cheers.

netllama 07-11-07 02:40 PM

I don't see any signs of problems in the bug report that you've attached.

You stated :
"note that this log was made on a restart after I had once more got the system working. So when the log was made all of the problems I've described above were present."

I'm not clear on how both can be true. Either the log was generated immediately after the problem was present, or it wasn't. Based on the content of the bug report, it looks like everything was working fine.

H-Radical 07-11-07 03:20 PM

It's a really hard to describe problem, so here's the story step by step:
Last time my computer was on, I redid the installation of the nvidia driver in this manner:
Code:

$ sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia*  //this removes the linux-generic and linux-restricted-modules as well
$ sudo envy -t
... //gives API mismatch error; can be fixed with the NVIDIA driver below
$ sudo sh /root/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9639-pkg1.run
$ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

and everything was fine. I got compiz and desktop effects working, etc.
I shutdown the computer and started it today again.
After the Ubuntu Logo splash went away, I got the NVIDIA logo and the login screen. I logged in but the splash screen that pops up as the desktop is loading did not go away until I clicked on it. The last time I'd logged in, I had enabled desktop effects, but now there was nothing. The gnome panel icons for ethernet connection, laptop power and update manager did not show up for another 30-40 seconds.
After logging in, I came to this forum, read your post, created the log file and posted it. Just a few minutes ago I went to System-> Preferences -> Desktop effects where I saw that desktop effects were enabled eventhough there were no effects; I disabled it and upon trying to enable it again, I got the message: "Desktop Effects could not be enabled"; I went to System -> Administration -> Restricted Drivers Manager and I got the message: "You need to install the package linux-restricted-modules-2.6.20-16-generic for this program to work". But I should have that installed from last time since I made absolutely no modifications to ANY installed package/program since the last time when everything was working fine.
Another interesting symptom (reflected in the second to last line of the nvidia-bug-report.log):
Code:

$ nvidia-settings
segmentation fault (core dumped)

Now based on the past few times I've done this, I'd guess that on the next reboot, the X server won't even start in the first place and it would crash.
Going to try it right now...

netllama 07-11-07 03:31 PM

Does reinstalling the official NVIDIA driver package (after a reboot) fix the problems?

H-Radical 07-11-07 03:41 PM

Well I just restarted the X server as it was. I got three flashes of the NVIDIA logo before it crashed.
Also, I tried your solution netllama, and YES, it worked. But by the time, I had tried it, I had already reinstalled the linux-restricted-modules-2.6.20-16-generic and linux-generic packages. it was interesting that when I was reinstalling these packages, apt-get said:
2 packages newly installed, 0 to upgrade, 0 to remove (or something similar)
showing that the packages had completely disappeared since last time.

netllama 07-11-07 03:51 PM

If (re)installing the official driver package fixes the problems, then this is very unlikely to be an nvidia driver bug. Its likely a combination of the issues related to Ubuntu's NVIDIA driver packaging (which is discussed in the forum sticky posts, as well as other threads on this forum).

In other words, you'll need to report this to Ubuntu unless the problems reproduce after installing the official driver pacakge.