nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Single, Twinview, metamodes order, and bounding box... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94663)

C-J 07-10-07 07:13 PM

Single, Twinview, metamodes order, and bounding box...

2 Attachment(s)
A general query, if I may...

I have a set-up with two identical monitors, using Twinview, and two metamodes (see below).

I boot X default with Twinview across both screens, though often switch to the second metamode when I don't need the second monitor.
Code:

Option            "metamodes" "DFP-0: 1280x1024_75 +0+0, DFP-1: 1280x1024_75 +1280+0; DFP-0: 1280x1024_75 +0+0, DFP-1: NULL;"
Two things that would make my life easier:

1. To default boot into what is currently metamode 2. Reversing the metamode order, though, leaves me with a bounding box problem (scrolling DFP-0 across a 2560x1024 desktop with a 2560 wide kicker on start-up).
I understand the issue is the bounding box, but seeing how I can so easily change from metamode 1 to 2 with the Nvidia control GUI without the wider bounding box problem, I wonder what is it that the control GUI does extra, and can this be replicated on start-up?

2. Could someone tell me how find/create a keyboard shortcut for changing between metamodes? Yes, I know, probably right in front of my eyes, but I can't seem to find it anywhere...

Lastly, is this the correct approach in general, e.g. is there a problem in running only one monitor with Twinview (resources or such); or should I really be using a completely different approach?

Thanks for listening, much appreciated...!

Xinef 07-11-07 09:17 PM

Re: Single, Twinview, metamodes order, and bounding box...

For the keyboard shortcut, you could first come up with a script that does what you want, then put it in one of your bin folder, say /usr/bin, and finally associate a keyboard shortcut with this command using xbindkey. The default install gives you a .xbindkeysrc.scm that will show you a couple of the possible shortcuts and key codes.
Good luck with the metamode thing; since I don't personally use it often, I always get a headache when I have to...

xbobmx 07-12-07 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-J
2. Could someone tell me how find/create a keyboard shortcut for changing between metamodes?

Try Ctrl-Alt-+ and Ctrl-Alt-- (the + and - on your numpad, not the ones by the backspace key)

C-J 07-12-07 08:32 AM

Thank you both for you replies, I was almost giving up hope... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xinef
For the keyboard shortcut, you could first come up with a script that does what you want...

I am with you, though my problem is that I cannot seem to find anything to put in the script, insofar as the nvidia-config does not seem to have an attribute to set/shift metamodes. Any suggestions? (... even though you get a headache - can't rightfully say that I blame you!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by xbobmx
Try Ctrl-Alt-+ and Ctrl-Alt-- (the + and - on your numpad, not the ones by the backspace key)

I see this mentioned several places, though it does nothing on my set... Any pointers on how to 'fix' this, if indeed 'fixed' it can be?

As I said, I would be happy with any other approach to doing this, if metamodes is not the right way of achieving it.

All the best...
CJ