nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   linux 650i+mcp51 network issues with forcedeth (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94956)

Eversor 07-15-07 07:05 PM

linux 650i+mcp51 network issues with forcedeth

Hi.
I know nvidia has discontinued nvnet drivers for linux, but i can only get the ethernet working properly with the nvnet module.

If I use the forcedeth provided with the kernel, i don't have ethernet when booting after being in windows. I have to shut the psu down and back up so i can have the ethernet working.

Worst if i use the forcedeth the driver will crash when transferring large amounts of data, randomly, it can take 1GB or 10GB to crash, but it does.

Using nvnet i don't experience any of these problems, but i can't remain using 2.6.16 and 2.6.15 kernels.

Can this driver be updated to support newer kernels?
The last forcedeth driver i tried was in 2.6.20 kernel, and it still had these problems. At least the issue with booting when coming from windows is present since i had an nforce4-sli board. The other one i don't know.

Best regards.

netllama 07-15-07 07:53 PM

Re: linux 650i+mcp51 network issues with forcedeth

How did you determine that the driver is crashing?

Have you verified that you're using the most recent motherboard BIOS?

Eversor 07-15-07 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama
How did you determine that the driver is crashing?

Have you verified that you're using the most recent motherboard BIOS?

Yes, tried 4 different BIOS, currently using the latest 0608 for Asus P5N-E SLI
The driver is crashing because if i do "modprobe -r forcedeth; modprobe forcedeth" it starts working again. And it the module also starts dumping what appears to be data that comes from ethernet port to dmesg.

netllama 07-15-07 09:58 PM

Just because reloading the driver fixes the problem doesn't mean that the driver is crashing.

Please attach the output that you're seeing in dmesg.

Eversor 07-15-07 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by netllama
Just because reloading the driver fixes the problem doesn't mean that the driver is crashing.

Please attach the output that you're seeing in dmesg.

I will do that as soon as i can.

No, what does it mean then? If using nvnet doesn't cause any problem.

best regards.

Eversor 11-19-07 08:43 PM

linux 650i+mcp51 crash since kernel >2.6.16

After some happy(stable) months with 2.6.16 and nvnet I tried 2.6.22.9 kernel to see if something had changed.
Forcedeth seems to be working fine, but intensive HDD activity will make the system crash.
I also had this issue back then when I first posted the problem with forcedeth, and when I reverted back to the old kernel it went away, so I was more than happy and never touched the issue anymore.
But I need new kernels now, and I can't use them.
Any ideas about what should I do?

Eversor 11-24-07 01:01 PM

anyone?

blueworm 11-25-07 12:17 AM

Add
Code:

acpi=off
to the kernel line in your grub.conf, this will disable acpi which could be causing your problems. Bare in mind with acpi off your PC will not shut down properly and cpufreq will not work but mine does not anyway due to buggy asus BIOS. ;)
Please test

Eversor 11-25-07 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueworm
Add
Code:

acpi=off
to the kernel line in your grub.conf, this will disable acpi which could be causing your problems. Bare in mind with acpi off your PC will not shut down properly and cpufreq will not work but mine does not anyway due to buggy asus BIOS. ;)
Please test

Strange 2.6.16 works fine. I had tought of that, but still hadn't tested it. I will test that. Maybe it's because of changes to ACPI in the kernel right?
Best regards.