nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Invisible overclocking error? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94998)

Zapablast05 07-16-07 02:21 PM

Invisible overclocking error?

I used RivaTuner to overclock my card. I set it to the max clock, 1MHz right before it's too clocked. I checked in nTune to see if my clocks read out in there and it was 0MHz, 0MHz. When I would play a game, my Fps is still the same. Is there something wrong going on that I didn't get a warning about?

rewt 07-16-07 06:20 PM

Re: Invisible overclocking error?

My recommendation. Uninstall nTune. Overclock your PC in the system BIOS. Overclock your video card with RivaTuner. Don't start off by maxing out clocks right away. Back it off to say 550core/850mem and try again.

Zapablast05 07-16-07 09:42 PM

When you said "Overclock your PC in the system BIOS," you meant as in, the CPU, voltages, RAM, HT, and PCI-E Clock? And see, the problem is that I see no difference from the overclocked card and the standard clock. I don't think RivaTuner is registering it or something because I still get the same 3DMarks.

Zapablast05 07-17-07 01:40 AM

UGH..I'm still not getting different results. It's still the same FPS and same 3DMarks. Is there some setting in RivaTuner that should be on/off for the clock to take effect? I'm starting to lean towards ntune again..

rewt 07-17-07 02:56 AM

RivaTuner can show you the actual clock speeds in the hardware monitoring section.

I recommend using the alternate startup daemon which will force your custom clock/fan speeds at startup. You can find this setting under overclocking and/or power user tab.

Zapablast05 07-17-07 04:58 PM

As I have the RivaTuner Hardware Montior, I'm overclocking. I test, save, and apply and my clock doesn't change in the Harware Monitor. I restarted my system, too. I check the "Apply Overclock on Windows Start-Up" box and I still get 540/700 in the Monitor. Is there some setting that's wrong or something?

Zapablast05 07-17-07 09:59 PM

Ok, I took a screen shot of it and I turned the alternate start-up daemon on and still nothing. After a few tests, applies, and reboots, it's still the same. Here's the link. I didn't know how to make it into a thumbnail so I put the link instead.http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...nersstupid.jpg

rewt 07-18-07 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapablast05
I test, save, and apply and my clock doesn't change in the Harware Monitor.

My gpu/mem clocks don't change after hitting apply either. I actually need to start up a 3d application first.

Quote:

I check the "Apply Overclock on Windows Start-Up" box and I still get 540/700 in the Monitor. Is there some setting that's wrong or something?
Well, for one, the clock speeds in slider controls don't match your startup values. Try this;

Clear (uncheck) the "Enable driver-level hardware overclocking" box, then click Apply and OK. Exit out of RivaTuner completely. Start up RivaTuner again and set your custom clocks. Click Apply and OK. Now open up hardware monitor. Launch a 3d application for a minute or so. Close it. Look at the hardware monitor log. Did the clock speeds change during running of the 3d app?

If not, perhaps there is some sort of Forceware bug. Try updating your graphics card drivers.

You could also get further help with RivaTuner at the RivaTuner Support Forums. Do a search. Maybe there is a particular issue/solution known about RivaTuner and your card.

Zapablast05 07-18-07 05:27 PM

I did all of that, I even ran the RTHDRIBL test thing, my clocks didn't change, neither did the logs. I just uninstalled it. Thanks anyways. I'm hitting 590/900 on nTune right now.

rewt 07-18-07 07:04 PM

Strange. RivaTuner actually worked better for me. Then again, I don't own a GeForce 8 yet.

Do you notice an improvement in performance now?

Zapablast05 07-18-07 11:23 PM

Yeah. When I used RivaTuner, I would get about 9fps in the landing craft part of the 'Return to Proxycon' test in 3DMark 06 and now I get 15fps. Not a WHOLE lot of performance gain but enough to raise my score, lol. I'll give RivaTuner another chance later on when nTune finally fails me or when I get my GTS 640, which ever comes first.