nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New C2D E6600, temp monitoring is inconsistant (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95263)

Uberpwnage 07-20-07 09:43 PM

New C2D E6600, temp monitoring is inconsistant

Just built my first C2D system today, got an E6600 for just under $200 on sale at a local store. I wanted the 9x multi instead of the 8x on the E6750. Figured it would hold me over until the G0 quad cores are more common.

Anyway, specs are same as in my sig. After installing windows I ran coretemp and it reports about 30*C idle on both cores and 40*C load. I have 4 120mm fans installed, all at 78cfm. I thought those temps were really good, but when I run Smart guardian or speedfan it reports my idle temp at 45*C so which one is correct?

This is coming from my old AMD rig where coretemp reported similar readings to smart guardian, are the core 2s different? I really want to start overclocking this thing but the temps incosistancies are disconcerting...

Ambrose 07-20-07 10:16 PM

Re: New C2D E6600, temp monitoring is inconsistant

I started out my overclocking expedition with SpeedFan, using the CPU temp as my guide. I found out though that the CPU temp is not as accurate as the two Core temps. I then got the program CoreTemp and compared the two core temperatures as measured by CoreTemp and SpeedFan and they were exactly the same.

I've heard a lot of good things about CoreTemp so that's what I'm using.

$n][pErMan 07-21-07 11:53 AM

Ya... my ASUS Ai will say my idle temp is 36c while CoreTemp says its 26c. Quite frankly I love the CoreTemp reading... but I am unsure what to trust so I go with the highest just to be on the safe side.

Libertysyclone 07-24-07 11:21 AM

I personally use Everest Ultimate, it has 90% of the benchmark/testing that I need and all of the monitoring utilities I love that it reports on the G15 and all th emonitoring on the LCD is fully programable.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...e/IMG_0454.jpg

mullet 07-24-07 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by $n][pErMan
Ya... my ASUS Ai will say my idle temp is 36c while CoreTemp says its 26c. Quite frankly I love the CoreTemp reading... but I am unsure what to trust so I go with the highest just to be on the safe side.

+1

jcrox 07-24-07 04:07 PM

Core Temp, Speed Fan, Intel tat, Everest

They all give a different reading, even when running at the same time, ranging from CoreTemp's 29C* to tat's 44C* @ idle. Which is totally unlike my last AMD setup (6000+) where SpeedFan, Everest and CoreTemp all had pretty close to the same readings.

I've decided not to worry about it at all.... if the CPU melts and ruins the mobo, just gives me an excuse to buy newer better stuff lol.

CaptNKILL 07-25-07 05:29 AM

So... if all temperature monitoring software gives different readings, is the BIOS usually accurate at least? I know they used to be the same way, but with on-die temp sensors they must have fixed it. Right? :o

I just checked with my currect setup and I get totally different temps between core temp and speedfan.

How the hell are they different? I thought they just displayed the numbers that the temp sensor was recording...

crainger 07-25-07 06:13 AM

I get really weird readings from Speed fan with my Q6600. Right now it's listing the CPU temp as 82C!

Even though Abit's own utility reports the usual 25-30C, core temp reports 35C. Might give Everest a try. Would be nice to have temps on the g15 seeing as Sirreal isn't Vista ready.

jcrox 07-25-07 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
So... if all temperature monitoring software gives different readings, is the BIOS usually accurate at least? I know they used to be the same way, but with on-die temp sensors they must have fixed it. Right? :o

I just checked with my currect setup and I get totally different temps between core temp and speedfan.

How the hell are they different? I thought they just displayed the numbers that the temp sensor was recording...

It's more than a little annoying isn't it? 15C* difference in 2 progs that are running at the same time... thats 60F* difference!! Maybe the local weatherman is influencing these utilities... he's about as accurate.

Edit: one utility reads System 31C* the other reads it as -65C* wewt... I give up.

Uberpwnage 07-25-07 12:44 PM

Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem lol. I went ahead and started oc'ing, temps aren't really much different then they were at stock, and everything seems to be stable. So far I love my new setup :D

mullet 07-25-07 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcrox
2gig PC8500 Corsair Dominator w/ fan thingy (<---- I think thats the technical term for it anyway)

:rofl

XDanger 07-26-07 03:12 PM

My readings are always all the same! Am I doing something wrong?