nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   apt-get source list? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95383)

DiscipleDOC 07-23-07 02:13 PM

apt-get source list?
 
I'm a n00b at debian, and I need to redo my sources.list to get the updates for my knoppix distro.

Can someone walk me through how to create a good source list?

TIA.

evilghost 07-23-07 03:38 PM

Re: apt-get source list?
 
Knoppix eh?

Here's my Debian sources.list, I don't know Knoppix, but AFAIK it uses Debian's repos.

Code:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main
deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib

#Backports
deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free


DiscipleDOC 07-23-07 03:44 PM

Re: apt-get source list?
 
Thanks bro. I started to put this in the open forum..but I knew some of the kids there would gripe.

evilghost 07-23-07 03:48 PM

Re: apt-get source list?
 
Hey, why do you have to redo your sources.list?

Why not a:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

DiscipleDOC 07-23-07 03:51 PM

Re: apt-get source list?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilghost
Hey, why do you have to redo your sources.list?

Why not a:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

I was reading in a forum where they said that it was best to redo it. I got a backup copy, so I can always restore it.

evilghost 07-23-07 03:52 PM

Re: apt-get source list?
 
I'm confused. What value is "redoing" it if you don't know the values to seed it with? Knoppix is a live CD-based Linux, why not use something like Debian, Fedora, or Ubuntu; something geared towards HDD installation.

DiscipleDOC 07-23-07 04:04 PM

Re: apt-get source list?
 
*shakes head and throws up shoulders.....

remember..I'm a newb...and I am trying to learn this stuff...

DiscipleDOC 07-23-07 04:08 PM

Re: apt-get source list?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilghost
I'm confused. What value is "redoing" it if you don't know the values to seed it with? Knoppix is a live CD-based Linux, why not use something like Debian, Fedora, or Ubuntu; something geared towards HDD installation.

Got another question for you. I'm getting this error message:
Code:

E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/
How do I point the apt-get command to download to a different area, like an area on my usb drive?

evilghost 07-23-07 04:11 PM

Re: apt-get source list?
 
Err...umm...are you using a Live CD and trying to update it?

BashfulTux 07-23-07 04:15 PM

Re: apt-get source list?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC
Got another question for you. I'm getting this error message:
Code:

E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/
How do I point the apt-get command to download to a different area, like an area on my usb drive?

Try apt-get clean to delete the cached .deb files once done you may want to install localepurge and say yes to both the locales and man page deletions that should get you a few more MB free.

DiscipleDOC 07-23-07 04:19 PM

Re: apt-get source list?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BashfulTux
Try apt-get clean to delete the cached .deb files once done you may want to install localepurge and say yes to both the locales and man page deletions that should get you a few more MB free.

Thanks...I'll try that

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilghost
Err...umm...are you using a Live CD and trying to update it?

No...I'm using a USB drive.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.