nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Beware of CCleaner (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95519)

radekhulan 07-25-07 08:09 PM

Beware of CCleaner

I had many troubles lately with X-Fi crackling sounds when in Game and Entertaiment modes, but not in Audio Creation (ASIO) mode. I uninstalled, reinstalled, etc., drivers and ALchemy 1.04, but it always went to crackling in Game mode eventually.

Finally, I realised, that CClearner "cleaning" was causing this. I can reproduce it. When I install Vista drivers and ALchemy from scratch, it works. If I run CCleaner once, it will break X-Fi EAX modes and only Audio Creation will continue working after reboot.

Permanent solution: uninstall CCleaner and never use it again. There is a nice little Windows utility for cleaning anyway...

// SORRY - mod, please move this to Vista forum

RAY16 07-26-07 07:30 AM

Re: Beware of CCleaner

I've never had any problems with CCLeaner in XP, so it must be either a Vista or system specific issue. I would suggest you give the creator information on what you've discovered so that even if you personally decide to stop using it the creator can still fix it for the people that want to continue using it.

Revs 07-26-07 07:36 AM

I've had no probs either. Are u selecting tick-boxes other then the default ones??

CaptNKILL 07-26-07 08:05 AM

Hmm... I can't say I've noticed anything significant like this and I've been using CCleaner for about 3 years.

I'll keep this in mind though.

Q 07-26-07 08:42 AM

Although I myself have never used CCleaner, I have heard several reports of it screwing stuff up. Honestly, I don't trust ANYTHING that deletes keys out of my registry unless its an uninstaller. Watch what you install, research the keys it uses, and do the work yourself.

SLippe 07-26-07 09:26 AM

I've never experienced any problems with CCleaner either, but I'm using WinXP Pro also. However, I bought Uniblue's RegistryBooster2 and I love it.

rewt 07-26-07 09:30 AM

I use the default clean mode all the time without issues (on both Vista and XP). When I start to worry is by using the "Issues" tab (reg cleaner). I don't tend to use this mode anymore, unless absolutely necessary.

radekhulan 07-26-07 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revs
I've had no probs either. Are u selecting tick-boxes other then the default ones??

Default run, latest CCleaner, Vista x64 Ultimate, latest X-Fi and ALchemy drivers.

Revs 07-26-07 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radekhulan
Default run, latest CCleaner, Vista x64 Ultimate, latest X-Fi and ALchemy drivers.

I'm using the Strikers sound card so I must have avoided this. Aint there something u can un-tick to stop it removing this file.

Also, I NEVER run any regestry cleaner without doing a back-up 1st. Why risk it, it only takes a few seconds!

jcrox 07-26-07 10:20 AM

I get the same thing with Vista business 32-bit, if I run CCleaner I start getting snap crackle and pop when playing games. I reinstalled the X-Fi drivers and it's back to normal.

grey_1 07-26-07 05:12 PM

Never a problem here using defaults. Audigy 4 though, so i may not be seeing it either.