nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Nvidia when are you going to implement XRandR 1.2 in your driver? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95866)

garry.peters 07-31-07 10:02 PM

Nvidia when are you going to implement XRandR 1.2 in your driver?

After reading extensively this should solve the "xinerama" "true" option turning off xrandr in multiple display setups problem.

Thanks in advance.

AaronP 07-31-07 10:38 PM

Re: Nvidia when are you going to implement XRandR 1.2 in your driver?

I explained in detail a while ago why RandR 1.2 in fact won't solve the Xinerama + RandR problem, but I can't seem to find the post.

[Edit: found it]

garry.peters 08-01-07 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronP
I explained in detail a while ago why RandR 1.2 in fact won't solve the Xinerama + RandR problem, but I can't seem to find the post.

[Edit: found it]

Hi Aaron

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've read the other thread and appreciate the points you raise. It sounds like we're on the same page regarding getting this fixed, however I too am suffering in two seperate areas.

1. MythTV (there is a workaround for this.....)

2. Compositing Managers (there was a workaround under Beryl, however the combined Compiz Fusion has revoked back to a problem).

I take on board your comment that nigling the apps developers to not use the current implementation of RandR would solve the problem, however that requires a lot of co-ordination with a lot of different parties. Obviously if Nvidia moved to implement V1.2 it would make life easier.

I am a little confused regarding your comments that 1.2 will only work on a single screen/GPU? I thought the whole point of implementing Xinerama in the 'core' code was to enable make Xinerama and RandR work across multiple GPU's?

Thanks in advance.

AaronP 08-01-07 12:25 AM

What do you mean by "core" code? As I mentioned in the other thread, there is some confusion when people say "Xinerama" because they're not clear on whether they mean the protocol extension or the implementation in the X.org server. There are three major implementations of the Xinerama protocol today:
  1. The Xinerama implementation in the X.org server, enabled by Option "Xinerama" in xorg.conf.
  2. The "TwinViewXineramaInfo" implementation in the NVIDIA X driver.
  3. The "fakerama" implementation in RandR 1.2.
№1 is incompatible with RandR (both 1.1 and 1.2). №2 is incompatible with Xinerama in that the TwinView screens will show up as one big screen according to the Xinerama protocol.

RandR 1.2 requires that any "CRTC" (basically a display device) be able to be placed anywhere on the desktop. This precludes being able to use multiple GPUs. A future revision of RandR will add GPU objects that can restrict the placement of CRTCs and allow a single RandR screen to span multiple GPUs.

garry.peters 08-01-07 07:35 PM

Hi Aaron

Sorry I should have been clearer.

What I meant was that Xinerama functionality would be in the driver without having to be turned on with a Xinerama switch. The benefit of this is obviously that if Xinerama doesn't have to be 'switched on' to use it's functionality then xrandr doesn't get "switched off" as a result.