nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Universal Pictures President believes HDDVD would fail without Universal Partnership (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96336)

1337_Like_ThaT 08-10-07 01:20 AM

Universal Pictures President believes HDDVD would fail without Universal Partnership

I admit about 65% of all my HDDVD titles are Universal Pictures, otherwise I would have no use for the player. With BluRay, my collection is varied with LionsGate, Disney/Buena Vista, Paramont, Columbia, 20th Centurey Fox, Sony Pictures and soon Starz Entertainment :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blu-Ray.com
Speaking exclusively with HiHD's Scott Hettrick, Universal president Craig Kornblau admitted that his studio is in favor of the format war continuing, despite the negative effects it has on consumer adoption. While its hard to argue that this war has driven down hardware prices and increased quality of releases much faster than if there was only a single format, consumers have mostly stayed away from buying either until a victor can be decided.

Kornblau now believes that HD DVD's existence is so fragile, that if Universal were to decide to go neutral and start releasing on Blu-ray, HD DVD would cease to exist. In fact, they are so dedicated to HD DVD, that Universal has walked away from additional financial incentives to release Blu-ray content, besides the additional revenue they would make by releasing on the more consumer adopted format.

There is hope, however, that this war could soon be over. Kornblau admits that once players reach $200, consumers will begin making their decisions about which format to adopt, and that is when Universal will decide who to support. As we march towards the forth quarter, it is very realistic that Toshiba will slash the price of their players for a third time this year (in yet another act of desperation), paving way for a $200 player. If that happens, there is no reason Universal couldn't monitor the holiday sales and announce Blu-ray releases at CES 2008.

Doesn't seem like Universal is backing away from HDDVD support, but will come to a conclusion of whether to go neutral or not after the holiday season

six_storm 08-10-07 02:47 AM

Re: Universal Pictures President believes HDDVD would fail without Universal Partnership

HD-DVD is lacking in titles big time. That's the only real thing that BR has over them. So yeah, I could see this statement being 100% true. Most of the HD titles I've wanted have been on BR.

DarkJedi664 08-10-07 02:56 AM

Re: Universal Pictures President believes HDDVD would fail without Universal Partnership

Well seeing as how Weinstein is now putting titles on BD, who does that leave as exclusive? Universal. This format war is only HURTING consumers, not helping them.

Mr_LoL 08-10-07 04:12 PM

Why are universal supporting HDDVD exclusively and Disney and others with Blu Ray? Surely they will make more money if they supported both formats?

|MaguS| 08-10-07 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_LoL
Why are universal supporting HDDVD exclusively and Disney and others with Blu Ray? Surely they will make more money if they supported both formats?

Alot of the studios have a financial backing with the specific formats. I believe there was a rumor that Universal was exclusive due to contract agreements and that the contract ended next year, if this rumor is true I can see them switching then... Every dual format format release Blu-Ray continues to sell more...

DarkJedi664 08-10-07 08:24 PM

Which is why HD-DVD should just give up. They're only prolonging this whole "format war" and hurting the consumers. It's absoultely retarded that there's 2 formats.

SOAD 08-14-07 06:25 PM

Re: Universal Pictures President believes HDDVD would fail without Universal Partners

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkJedi664
Which is why HD-DVD should just give up. They're only prolonging this whole "format war" and hurting the consumers. It's absoultely retarded that there's 2 formats.

you havent heard of making money have you? :rolleyes: :headexplode:

npras42 08-15-07 01:52 PM

If it wasn't for the competition between the two formats you wouldn't see prices going down so quickly. The halving in retail price for the hardware would have probably taken more than 2 years were it not for the competition. So its good for all 'the-wait-and-seers' like myself.

XxDeadlyxX 08-21-07 12:54 AM

This article has become majorly invalid now ;)

evilchris 08-21-07 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX
This article has become majorly invalid now ;)

BD's "The Sky is Falling" campaign failed!

superklye 08-21-07 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilchris
BD's "The Sky is Falling" campaign failed!

Now, if only Fox would get their heads out of their asses...

Tr1cK 08-21-07 10:59 AM

Re: Universal Pictures President believes HDDVD would fail without Universal Partners

Quote:

Originally Posted by superklye
Now, if only Fox would get their heads out of their asses...

Fox news too? LOL