nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Feedback Forum (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Networking and security forum? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96820)

grey_1 08-18-07 08:42 PM

Networking and security forum?

Would anyone be interested? We have a couple very knowledgeable individuals in here, along with quite a few like me who would love to learn more.

So many tutorials out there are really at odds with each other, and I've seen a few guys express interest more than once.

So would any one else like this?

Mr_LoL 08-18-07 08:53 PM

Re: Networking and security forum?

It should be a subforum of another section imo. I have been on some sites where it literally takes ages to scroll down to the bottom of the page.

retsam 08-18-07 08:54 PM

/start_childhood_giddyness please please please please please!!! i want dibs on being a mod!!! please please please please!!!!...

retsam 08-18-07 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1
Would anyone be interested? We have a couple very knowledgeable individuals in here, along with quite a few like me who would love to learn more.

So many tutorials out there are really at odds with each other, and I've seen a few guys express interest more than once.

So would any one else like this?

oh god i could just add volums of info on infosec and routing.....

crainger 08-18-07 09:32 PM

I vote Retsam and Evilghost for mods!

SLippe 08-18-07 09:43 PM

I'd be very interested in this. I know very little about networking (just the basics) and would love to learn more.

retsam 08-18-07 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLippe
I'd be very interested in this. I know very little about networking (just the basics) and would love to learn more.

alot of people and gamers are the very same way, im thinking maybe we could do some "how to"'s on the networking and gaming front...

evilghost 08-18-07 10:19 PM

It'd be saturated with "What's the best firewall software to use" and "What's the best antivirus program to use" or "What's the best antispyware application to use". After the 1200th iteration of the same three questions I'd want to burn Windows CDs and shake my fists towards Redmond, WA.

I wouldn't let Retsam moderate the forum, he doesn't know about wireless and helping 15 year olds bond three wireless cards for "greater speed, duh!".

retsam 08-18-07 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilghost
It'd be saturated with "What's the best firewall software to use" and "What's the best antivirus program to use" or "What's the best antispyware application to use". After the 1200th iteration of the same three questions I'd want to burn Windows CDs and shake my fists towards Redmond, WA.

I wouldn't let Retsam moderate the forum, he doesn't know about wireless and helping 15 year olds bond three wireless cards for "greater speed, duh!".

:lol2:

evilghost 08-18-07 10:29 PM

Retsam thinks round-robin is a fat bird... :)

Honestly, as infrequently as we get security related questions I'd hate to dedicate a forum to it, which would almost invite the 'What firewall/antivirus/spyware' threads.

grey_1 08-18-07 10:53 PM

retsam a mod? Neo-cons Only! LOL! I joke. :D

Good point about the firewall/av questions. I was thinking more about configuring such, IPtables and how they work, how to best guard a small home network etc.

It being a subforum would be fine by me, so far it sounds like it would have a good deal of attention. :)

crainger 08-18-07 11:06 PM

What's the best firewall/antivirus/spyware? I also need a good birthday card viewer. I keep getting email birthday cards, but when I click the link nothing comes up... :(

I like the sound of this gluing together wireless card for more speed. Should I lap them first though?