nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Ntune Remote Administration (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96827)

seeker 08-18-07 10:38 PM

Ntune Remote Administration

I have been an Nvidia customer since I owned my first computer, but that may be about to change. I installed 162.18, but when I tried to access the temperature monitor, it said that I had to install Ntune, which appears to be primarily for Nforce systems, which I do not have. However, I went ahead and downloaded it anyway, but when I went to install it, it showed three components to be installed, one of which was for the purpose of providing remote administration, which I do not use either. Without detailed information about what this is for, and how it works, I'm going to go back to my previous driver.

I was thinking about upgrading the graphics card, but if this remote administration is what it appears to be, it won't be for an Nvidia card. If that function were optional, then I might feel differently, but it is not.

Libertysyclone 08-21-07 02:55 PM

Re: Ntune Remote Administration

You are correct the remote feature has nothing to do with your GeForce card, and at this point is is not even a usable feature on the Nforce boards.

I would use a separate temp monitoring utility. I personally use Everest Ultimate.
If I remember correctly I believe that Riva also shows temps.

seeker 08-21-07 06:06 PM

Whether it is usable or not, it still exists, and that was my major concern. I will certainly use a different temp monitor, but this influences my decisions about purchasing not only Nvidia graphic cards, but also Nforce motherboards, because I do not allow anyone to remotely gather information on my computer, or to control anything on it.

At first, it wasn't clear whether the remote administration was for a private network, or for some form of Nvidia support, but either way, I have no interest. It also seems odd that the Nvidia reps hadn't responded to this before now.

Libertysyclone 08-22-07 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seeker
Whether it is usable or not, it still exists, and that was my major concern. I will certainly use a different temp monitor, but this influences my decisions about purchasing not only Nvidia graphic cards, but also Nforce motherboards, because I do not allow anyone to remotely gather information on my computer, or to control anything on it.

At first, it wasn't clear whether the remote administration was for a private network, or for some form of Nvidia support, but either way, I have no interest. It also seems odd that the Nvidia reps hadn't responded to this before now.

The Remote Admin is to compete with Intels Vpro, so it is for IT remote administration and not for gathering information from your system against your knowledge/agreement

And about your last statement, some one did ;)

seeker 08-23-07 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertysyclone
The Remote Admin is to compete with Intels Vpro, so it is for IT remote administration and not for gathering information from your system against your knowledge/agreement

Then it's not possible for someone to access it without the user's knowledge? I guess it's not really that important now, because I figured out how to display the temp with Rivatuner, and I like it better anyway. Is there any other reason that I should consider Ntune? It still seems that it should have been made optional though.
Quote:

And about your last statement, some one did ;)
I guess that someone is you. In the past, it was easy to identify Nvidia's reps by their avatar or personal data.

Libertysyclone 08-23-07 05:52 PM

Ntune is best used with a NVIDIA paired mobo/gpu. It is aimed towards those who dont want to have to mess with the BIOS for OC'ing and offer monitoring ability.

and yes there is no monitoring w/o your knowledge.