nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   "fastest" low profile (nvidia) AGP card? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97716)

fwelland 09-02-07 02:28 PM

"fastest" low profile (nvidia) AGP card?

A crappy 9200se died (er, is on its death throes) on me and as a last gasp for my kidZ desktop - I will stuff one more card in it.

I am done with ATI (disappointing linux support and I have had 2 cards just start flaking out) and have been pleased with a 7800 and 7600 (agp) boards I have.

So the MOBO is an OEM Intel 845GRG board in a low profile case. This implies AGP 2x/4x (although any 8X should work -- just at 4x -- correct me if I am wrong).

(primary)USEAGE: KidZ WinXP Home pc -- playing lots of online flash games and some other games such as zoo tycoon, tonka monster truck that have modest directX requirements. Nothing terribly GPU taxing -- but as good as it can get is important.

Ignoring PSU and cooling requirements, for a bit; what is the 'best/fastest/goodest' LOW PROFILE AGP board out there??? (I'd prefer cards with LP brackets -- but can rape my 9200se for the bracket if need be).

I have seen a variety of geforce 6200 LP cards (xfx, evga, asus) - that seems like about as high up the 'nvidia' food chain, LP cards get. There are several FX 5200 cards out there too -- will the $15-$20 for a 6200 card bring a noticeable difference (from a 5200)?

johnkeel105 09-03-07 12:41 AM

Re: "fastest" low profile (nvidia) AGP card?

The 6200 will do much better then the 5200. As for which one is the best I honestly don know. But a a card that small doesn't need more then 128mb ram. Anymore then that would be a waste for what you are going to use it for.

CaptNKILL 09-03-07 06:25 PM

Yep, 6200 should be much better than a 5200. I doubt it'd play any games from the past year, but it'd play more than the 5200.

fwelland 09-04-07 02:46 PM

I am going 6200 -- I will probably go 256MB for the extra 10-15 tacos -- with the silly idea that this may preserve my KidZ PC for 3-6months once they graduate from silly flash (and tonka) games to more FPS or role playing games....

I guess it is cooling thing (not enuff real-estate on LP card) -- or maybe just not enuff $$ in the LP/AGP market segment ....but seems to me one of the NVIDIA manufacturers would try stuff better GPU 'guts' on a LP/AGP card.... hmm...maybe not cooling issue...you can get PCIe LP cards in 8400GS flavors...so it must just be a money thing......

thanks for the comments

Libertysyclone 09-05-07 11:10 AM

the 8400 will have a AGP option in the future.