nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty Tribe 5 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97822)

six_storm 09-04-07 05:06 PM

Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty Tribe 5

Tribe 5 is out . . . it FINALLY solved my Compiz Fusion problem AUTOMATICALLY. Way to go Ubuntu!

Screenie:

http://my.photodump.com/six_storm/Screenshot_R-561.jpg

Looks like Ubuntu is using a new font, added a quick user switch and desktop search on the desktop panel and all kinds of fun stuff. I just installed it so I'll post more observations as I use it. Anyone else gonna try it out? The official release is mid-to-late October!

grey_1 09-04-07 05:49 PM

Re: Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty Tribe 5

What do you mean "automatically"? It's in the stock repos and installed fine? How's driver support?

six_storm 09-04-07 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1
What do you mean "automatically"? It's in the stock repos and installed fine? How's driver support?

In case you didn't read in the KDE thread, I couldn't get CF to work in Debian nor Ubuntu 7.04 and lower. But with Tribe 5, the NVIDIA driver installed automatically and CF works great! The NVIDIA driver is the only additional driver I'm using right now.

grey_1 09-04-07 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by six_storm
In case you didn't read in the KDE thread, I couldn't get CF to work in Debian nor Ubuntu 7.04 and lower. But with Tribe 5, the NVIDIA driver installed automatically and CF works great! The NVIDIA driver is the only additional driver I'm using right now.

Maybe I'm being slow... :)

7.10 installs the driver for you? Or it just installed easily without having to install dependencies first?

Either way sounds nice. Did you use CF from the repos?

six_storm 09-04-07 06:35 PM

Quote:

Maybe I'm being slow... :)

7.10 installs the driver for you? Or it just installed easily without having to install dependencies first?

Either way sounds nice. Did you use CF from the repos?

Haha. Well, on your first boot up from installation, it will give you a notification for "Restricted Drivers". Once you click on it, it actually gives you two options: NVIDIA Drivers and NVIDIA Drivers(Newest Cards). I clicked the checkbox for the first option and it installed the NVIDIA drivers, painless too! :D

As far as CF goes, Ubuntu 7.10 will be the first version of Ubuntu that includes CF packages by default. You just gotta "sudo apt-get install compiz-settings-manager" and "emerald" by yourself. If you use Emerald Themes, you gotta find that yourself. I just went to gnome-look.org.

It's a real stable version from what I've seen. One other thing I noticed is that GAIM was replaced by Pidgin. Works great!

grey_1 09-04-07 06:59 PM

Thanks alot six, here I am getting all comfortable with Debian and I'm being tempted....:D

I'll become one of those "distro junkies' you hear about Lol.

Sounds nice, I may dl it and give it a whirl. I'm just leery of ruining my debian install, got a lot of time invested in it now. Thanks for posting about this.

six_storm 09-04-07 07:46 PM

Quote:

Thanks alot six, here I am getting all comfortable with Debian and I'm being tempted....:D

I'll become one of those "distro junkies' you hear about Lol.

Sounds nice, I may dl it and give it a whirl. I'm just leery of ruining my debian install, got a lot of time invested in it now. Thanks for posting about this.

No problem. I'm just dabbling around myself, checking out what's out there (no harm in that). Once I get my good rig back up and running, I'm going with a triple threat: Windows Vista, Ubuntu 7.10 and Debian 4.0. This rig I'm on right now hasn't done 100% great with either Ubuntu or Debian and CF or Beryl . . . but my other rig worked perfect with it. I can't wait to have my other rig back up.

evilghost 09-04-07 08:31 PM

Giggly Gonad is pretty sweet from what my father tells me (I converted him). I'm waiting for Horny Harlot since it's the next LTS release and I'll update my server from Dangling Dump to Horny Harlot. I was fairly disappointed with Fisting Fun especially the issues relating to Wifi.

Q 09-04-07 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilghost
Giggly Gonad is pretty sweet from what my father tells me (I converted him). I'm waiting for Horny Harlot since it's the next LTS release and I'll update my server from Dangling Dump to Horny Harlot. I was fairly disappointed with Fisting Fun especially the issues relating to Wifi.

You are on FIRE tonight. :)

six_storm 09-04-07 09:03 PM

Quote:

Haha! Gusty is pretty nice thus far, I haven't ran into any problems yet. I wonder when they will release the next LTS version?

evilghost 09-04-07 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by six_storm
Haha! Gusty is pretty nice thus far, I haven't ran into any problems yet. I wonder when they will release the next LTS version?

APR 2008 is what it's planned for.

six_storm 09-04-07 09:31 PM

Quote:

APR 2008 is what it's planned for.

Oh nice. Version 8.04 will be LTS. I'm just glad that the Ubuntu team finally put in something like Compiz-Fusion in their next release. Now getting it to work properly won't be such a PITA. Gotta have some eye candy! :D