nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Other Desktop Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   No AA for ATi in BioSHock (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97990)

Rollo 09-07-07 06:36 AM

No AA for ATi in BioSHock
 
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...ce/default.asp
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firing Squad & Dave Baumann of AMD
As it stands now, AA only works in BioShock’s DX9 mode, and only with GeForce hardware. We tried forcing AA with the Radeon HD 2900 XT under both Windows Vista and WinXP with all four custom filter AA modes (including edge detect) and couldn’t get AA to work properly in BioShock. We asked AMD if they plan on adding AA support to BioShock in a future Catalyst driver revision but couldn’t get a direct answer. The only way to enable AA under BioShock with Radeon cards is to rename the BioShock executable from “bioshock.exe” to “Oblivion.exe”. Keep in mind by doing this though, AMD’s driver-level optimizations for the game are automatically disabled, and as a result, performance suffers – we recorded a frame rate of just 26.7 fps for the 2900 XT with the executable renamed to Oblivion.exe running our manual walkthrough sequence under 4xAA at 1600x1200. (Surprisingly enough, the Radeon X1950 Pro delivered a frame rate of 20.9 fps under the exact same scenario) Because of this, AMD’s Dave Baumann told us flat out not to run the game with the renamed executable.

So, at this point anyway, ATi forces the end user to give up both good DX10 performance and anti aliasing in this game.

Madpistol 09-07-07 07:00 AM

Re: No AA for ATi in BioSHock
 
I thought we had already established that the X2900's and such were very buggy when it comes to AA. This just proves that point.

Rollo 09-07-07 07:06 AM

Re: No AA for ATi in BioSHock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madpistol
I thought we had already established that the X2900's and such were very buggy when it comes to AA. This just proves that point.

Still worth a post IMO- Bioshock is one of the hottest games out (and funnest) and the 2900's AA-less DX10 performance is below what you'd expect for it's cost, and not to have AA at all might alter the buying decisions of some.

Who buys $360+ DX10 cards to not use AA or DX10?(inv)

conroejoe 09-07-07 07:57 AM

Re: No AA for ATi in BioSHock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollo

Who buys $360+ DX10 cards to not use AA or DX10?(inv)

Exactly. WTF ATI??

nightmare beta 09-07-07 11:36 AM

Re: No AA for ATi in BioSHock
 
Edge Detect shouldn't be buggy, but then it's ati.

Not that nvidia's drivers (and products) aren't buggy as hell, though.

Rollo 09-07-07 12:06 PM

Re: No AA for ATi in BioSHock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightmare beta
Edge Detect shouldn't be buggy, but then it's ati.

Not that nvidia's drivers (and products) aren't buggy as hell, though.

You know, I use them without issue 99.9% of the time error free, and I bet if I was in XP that number would be 100.

nightmare beta 09-07-07 01:17 PM

Re: No AA for ATi in BioSHock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollo
You know, I use them without issue 99.9% of the time error free, and I bet if I was in XP that number would be 100.

Not quite.

All of the drivers for the 8800 gtx give me nothing but trouble.

All of them have the same problems, and there's a ****load of them.

9 months and at least 10 drivers later they still can't fix problems they've had for years.

gabamanic 09-07-07 01:20 PM

Re: No AA for ATi in BioSHock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightmare beta
Not quite.

All of the drivers for the 8800 gtx give me nothing but trouble.

All of them have the same problems, and there's a ****load of them.

9 months and at least 10 drivers later they still can't fix problems they've had for years.

The only drivers that I had any issues with were probably the first 2 driver sets and even then the issues were minor. Every other driver I have used after that has worked like a charm.


Sounds like your system is the problem if you have had nothing but issues with all of the drivers. :rolleyes:

Then again this coming from someone with the user name of nightmare beta:lol:

nightmare beta 09-07-07 01:49 PM

Re: No AA for ATi in BioSHock
 
I don't mean to troll or anything, but there's several issues i have:
doesn't have the option to disable dxtc/s3tc when an application calls for it.
16 bit color isn't rendered internally @ 32 bit
scaling/centering doesn't work
purevideo cheats.
white/overbright videos
extended yuv range hasn't been fixed.
avp has issues.
SC:DA issues.
the open gl glow issue

gabamanic 09-07-07 04:32 PM

Re: No AA for ATi in BioSHock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightmare beta
I don't mean to troll or anything, but there's several issues i have:
doesn't have the option to disable dxtc/s3tc when an application calls for it.
16 bit color isn't rendered internally @ 32 bit
scaling/centering doesn't work
purevideo cheats.
white/overbright videos
extended yuv range hasn't been fixed.
avp has issues.
SC:DA issues.
the open gl glow issue


Oh well whatever, I have not experienced any of those issues that you mention. Not even the open Gl glow issue.

Good luck with your hardware man and I hope you get it worked out.

Xion X2 09-07-07 06:20 PM

Re: No AA for ATi in BioSHock
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightmare beta
I don't mean to troll or anything, but there's several issues i have:
doesn't have the option to disable dxtc/s3tc when an application calls for it.
16 bit color isn't rendered internally @ 32 bit
scaling/centering doesn't work
purevideo cheats.
white/overbright videos
extended yuv range hasn't been fixed.
avp has issues.
SC:DA issues.
the open gl glow issue

kevpla is back, everyone. :lol:

It's gotta be him.. he's the only individual on planet earth that cares about this obscure sh!t.

Dreamingawake 09-07-07 06:28 PM

Re: No AA for ATi in BioSHock
 
uh.. yeah well that sux for ati users but those of us with 8800's playing
in DX10 don't have any AA either.. :thumbdwn:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.