nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   MMORPGs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Blizz removes HW sound acceleration from WoW (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=99308)

glObalist 09-28-07 10:42 AM

Blizz removes HW sound acceleration from WoW

And I ask, why? Anyone have any rationale for this move? My game sounds crappy all of a sudden...

Quote:

Title: Blizzard removed hardware sound.
Genre: Sound.
Suggestion by: Akarou of Lightning's Blade

Problem/Current Situation:
- No Hardware sound support.

Solution:
Apparently there is a way to implement it.

Q u o t e:
The new audio implementation in WoW uses a 3rd party audio middleware system which offers a generic software mixer with some reverb effects. Creative has worked with the middleware company in question and already implemented a hardware audio path that enables 3D audio mixing and DSP based effects processing on Audigy and X-Fi cards. "Bioshock" uses this system to great effect, and it is relatively straight forward for developers to support. We have offered to help Blizzard enable this hardware audio path but they haven't taken us up on it.

http://forums.creative.com/creativel...cending&page=2

ATI_Dude 09-28-07 11:08 AM

Re: Blizz removes HW sound acceleration from WoW

Quote:

Originally Posted by glObalist
And I ask, why? Anyone have any rationale for this move? My game sounds crappy all of a sudden...

It's probably caused by the removal of HW accellerated 3D sound (DirectSound3D) in Vista.

jolle 09-28-07 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATI_Dude
It's probably caused by the removal of HW accellerated 3D sound (DirectSound3D) in Vista.

Well, its removal of DirectSound3d.. its NOT removal of HW accelerated 3d sound afaik..
There are other APIs, like OpenAL, and FMOD (EX) that WOW and BIOSHOCK (EDIT: and Crysis apparantly) uses.
Dunno much about FMOD, but I know the programmers in my class use it alot.

With no DS3d in Vista, games will start using other APIs.

nightmare beta 09-28-07 11:13 AM

The real problem is that the software audio engine wasn't coded well, otherwise there wouldn't be a problem.

I'd be willing to trade HW OpenAL for less lossy or even uncompressed sounds and music.

nVJoe 09-28-07 12:02 PM

I turn the sound almost all the way down so I can chat on vent.

Tr1cK 09-28-07 12:46 PM

I noticed the sound cutting out some on me today.

jolle 09-28-07 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tr1cK
I noticed the sound cutting out some on me today.

They went over to FMOD ages ago.
Way back when they did, I couldnt use the highest sound setting anymore on my X-Fi, which was a bit annoying.

Tr1cK 09-28-07 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolle
They went over to FMOD ages ago.
Way back when they did, I couldnt use the highest sound setting anymore on my X-Fi, which was a bit annoying.

With this last patch, I think they added a reverb option. I noticed that my channels was set to low. I set them to high and added the reverb. I guess I need to undo those changes.

Phyre 09-28-07 01:59 PM

This is the response from "Blue" on the recent sound issues. Creative says Blizzard failed to work with them in the above quote/link, and Blizzard says they are doing everything to make the situation better. They could fix this by working with Creative and getting hardware acceleration back into their game. I would say that I can't believe they did this, but it's sad to say that I can.

Quote:

Voice chat and the new sound engine actually aren't linked, or dependant on each other. Yes of course the new sound engine is used to run voice chat, but the sound engine upgrades have been in the making long before voice chat. Once it came time to begin implementing voice chat it really wouldn't have been much different regardless of the engine we use.

We do understand that the switch to the new sound engine has caused some issues. Any undertaking and replacement of such a large system within the game, and especially with so many and varied machines running it, there are sure to be some growing pains.

The new sound engine allows so many additional and great sound features for all of our players, including the ability for us to do new and interesting sound alterations based on in-game queues and actions, that it would really be a step backwards to go back to the old system.

We definitely understand there are issues, and we're committed to working through them and bringing the current sound engine on-par with the previous one, and then completely surpassing it.

--Drysc
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...No=8&sid=1#158

Phyre

jolle 09-28-07 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tr1cK
With this last patch, I think they added a reverb option. I noticed that my channels was set to low. I set them to high and added the reverb. I guess I need to undo those changes.

Yeah, I think the higher I went above Low, the more sounds where lost in game.
At highest there wasn't any sound at all if I remember it right.
So that its prolly your problem

Tork64 09-28-07 04:32 PM

It improved for me, I now hear sounds i didnt before.

glObalist 09-28-07 06:44 PM

"The new sound engine allows so many additional and great sound features for all of our players, including the ability for us to do new and interesting sound alterations based on in-game queues and actions, that it would really be a step backwards to go back to the old system."

What a load of crap. I highly doubt the "additional and great" sound features will ever compensate for the many a missing or cut-out sound I'm (not) getting now. Can't they just make both HW and SW rendering available? So that both us with the high end cards and the 3rd world customer with his Soundmax card are kept satisfied?