nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap out-of-memory for legacy cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=99463)

ioannis 10-01-07 04:44 AM

GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap out-of-memory for legacy cards

Any plans in fixing the out-of-memory bug of the GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap implementation in legacy drivers?

_john_i_ 10-01-07 12:59 PM

Re: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap out-of-memory for legacy cards

Quote:

Originally Posted by ioannis
Any plans in fixing the out-of-memory bug of the GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap implementation in legacy drivers?

I was hoping on that as well. My old geforce 3 at work works fine for beryl except for this black window out-of-memory problem :(

ioannis 10-15-07 06:24 PM

I'm sure we are not the only ones that are waiting for this ;)

FuturePilot 10-16-07 12:30 PM

I was also wondering about this. I can't use Compiz or I get hit with black windows big time.

_john_i_ 10-19-07 11:55 AM

I suspect the fix for this was made on top of features specific to non-legacy branch of the code, and will require a good bit of work to back-port.

If that is the case we may never get a fix in legacy :(. I hope that isn't true.

jamesjones 10-19-07 04:03 PM

Hi guys. Sorry for the slow response. We've actually been wondering the same thing ourselves! You are correct that this code does depend on some features not present in our legacy drivers. However, I am currently looking into how much work it would be to back-port to the 96.43.xx drivers. Based on the complexity, we will decide whether to backport the improvements or not.

ioannis 10-19-07 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesjones
Hi guys. Sorry for the slow response. We've actually been wondering the same thing ourselves! You are correct that this code does depend on some features not present in our legacy drivers. However, I am currently looking into how much work it would be to back-port to the 96.43.xx drivers. Based on the complexity, we will decide whether to backport the improvements or not.

Thanks. Let us know the outcome of this evaluation. I hope our 'old' cards are not left indefinitely with this show stopper bug.

FuturePilot 10-20-07 01:43 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up. I hope you guys can get this worked out.;)

zeddock 10-24-07 02:16 PM

Quote:

Please?!

If I wasn't on a laptop I would go get another Graphics card, but I have a ton of users here on Dell Laptops. GeForce4 4200 Go

Please, please?

Thanx for your efforts.
zeddock

jamesjones 11-14-07 12:18 PM

Well, the merge wasn't too bad, so I went ahead and backported the changes. The next 96.*.* series legacy driver release will contain the TFP OOM handling improvements.

zeddock 11-14-07 05:26 PM

That's good. Right?

I have lived on MS Windows boxes until now so I am unsure if this means my Gusty Ubuntu will automatically update tonight. (I have backports turned on in Software Sources.)

BTW, There were three needling issues in Gusty Ubuntu that kept me from jumping in more whole-heartedly...

1. Black Windows.
2. Management of wireless networks
3. The application called EverNote.

I am happy to say that:
1. I feel better now, knowing that nVidia is at least listening to the Linux community. Thanx for that fix!
2. An application called wicd, pronounced "Wicked" is a welcome replacement to Gnome-Network-Manager in Gusty.
3. Gmail Notebooks is getting closer to EverNote in productivity for me.

All that to say THANX! and to state that I am now permanently on Gusty... and I am getting happier every time I watch MS-patch-Tuesday come and go.

zeddock

FuturePilot 11-18-07 01:36 AM

Quote:

Well, the merge wasn't too bad, so I went ahead and backported the changes. The next 96.*.* series legacy driver release will contain the TFP OOM handling improvements.

Awesome!!(urock) (nana2)